Discreet external DAC/sound card for office use?
Aug 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
Audinst HUD mx-1 is another good DAC/amp that's not flashy and can run on USB alone. Can't really beat the uDAC in terms of compactness though. There's an old review on Headfonia with comparisons between the uDAC-1 and the Audinst. Good pictures too, for comparing their size and appearance side by side.
http://www.headfonia.com/nuforce-udac-and-comparisons

Thanks for the link!  The Audinst HUD MX-1 looks oh so sexy, but it's just way too big in comparison.  The uDAC-2 has just the "discreetness" that I'm looking for.

Now what worries me are Dalamar's comments about the uDAC's sound quality.  Supposedly the uDAC-2 has been improved...  Can it really be such a bad DAC/amp?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 21
I have tried uDAC1 connected to my laptop. I did'nt find any good impression on it. It sounds no difference with my laptop headphones out. Maybe subtle improvement, but i can't hear it. I used Yuin PK1 at that time.

What about ibasso D4, Audiotrak Dr DAC2 or RSA Predator?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 21
Lol, in my opinion the Audiotrak Dr DAC2 just screams "look at me! look at me!" It requires external power too, and I think the price is a little over the OP's budget. Audiotrak Prodigy Cube, no the other hand, fits the bill a little better.

Overall, the reviews and opinions I've read on the uDAC have been positive. Most have said it was an improvement over the laptop's sound. Depends on how good your laptop's built in sound card is, I guess. When evaluating reviews, I give more weight to it if the person has used the same equipment as I have. I love Head-Fi's member profiles for this reason.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Lol, in my opinion the Audiotrak Dr DAC2 just screams "look at me! look at me!" It requires external power too, and I think the price is a little over the OP's budget. Audiotrak Prodigy Cube, no the other hand, fits the bill a little better.

Overall, the reviews and opinions I've read on the uDAC have been positive. Most have said it was an improvement over the laptop's sound. Depends on how good your laptop's built in sound card is, I guess. When evaluating reviews, I give more weight to it if the person has used the same equipment as I have. I love Head-Fi's member profiles for this reason.

LOL, you're right.. Dr DAC2 is quite big.. Just like blinking wi-fi router
biggrin.gif

Yup hopefully uDAC2 gives more improvement than uDAC1..

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

..or the Dr. DAC prime.  I had a chance to hear that and it has very good sound, although a bit larger then the uDAC and more pricey.
There are some good priced mini DIY DAC's I have seen but they require building or having another build them.

To the OP, I would look in the Buy and sell forum also for whatever gear your interested in as this can save you some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back