Discovering Jazz
Aug 10, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #32 of 37
There have been so many great recommendations here, so I only have one other one to add that I don't think got mentioned, and that's Keith Jarrett. The latest CD Whisper Not is a great place to start for his trio stuff, and The Melody at Night for his solo work. The only bad thing about many of his recordings (the ones I mentioned aren't too bad) is that he makes weird vocal noises that get picked up on the recording.

Columbia's latest remastering of the Miles Davis catalog on CD seems to be on the "hot" side for some reason, at least on some of them. The earlier CDs didn't have this problem, they didn't have the detail either, but they might be easier to take if the new one bothers you. I agree, the Sketches LP is great.

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #33 of 37
Columbia reissued some of the LPs and they sell for about $10 and they sound pretty good. Classic Records has also issued them for $32, and they sound fantanstic. If you think that's bad, the 45 rpm version of of it sells for $43. The 45 rpm version of Kind of Blue is now out of print (these are all limited editions) but you can order it from Acousic Sounds while they last for $150. I'm glad I got my copy when it first came out. It does sound a little better than the regular LP version from the same label. I now have 6 different issues of Kind of Blue, 3 on LP and 3 on CD. I don't have the SACD version though...

Aug 11, 2001 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by huy_ha
Mingus never hurts.

For some new Latin Jazz, check out David Sanchez.

Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" is a mind trip, with Bobby Hutcherson on vibraphone. Hutcherson's solo albums are also good.

Sketches on LP, by the way, with Grado's, is superb.

Yeah, Bobby Hutcherson is pretty awesome. I saw him perform live a few years ago... he goes crazy on those vibraphones!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #35 of 37
All the suggestions thus far are great.

I love for flute to be out front, might try this on foe size:

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CmC49npmQec [/VIDEO]

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back