Discovering Jazz
Aug 7, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 37
source direct - seems like you listen to a lot of cool stuff... you might have to give me some recommendations.

oh and btw, how are you liking the Sennheiser/Creek combo? My Creek is on the way... I got it mainly for my Grado's but I would also like to use my 580's with it. I can't wait 'till all my stuff comes
smily_headphones1.gif

all my stuff=AMC CD8B cdp/Creek OBH-11/AQ Copperhead interconnects/lots of cds -- i'm gonna be very happy once it all gets here

Aug 7, 2001 at 7:22 PM Post #17 of 37
This compilation seems good... Just listening to it again at work and there's a track "Nefertiti" (from the namesake album I presume) which features some great drum playing (among other good stuff) - or it could just be my sporta pros
smily_headphones1.gif
. I don't usually pay attention to drums in Jazz, they are played here almost as if in a rock band...

Aug 8, 2001 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 37
I'm not a huge jazz fan, but my favorite stuff is actually from Herbie Hancock. I see Headhunters was recommended earlier.

I'd like to add Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage as two albums you might like if you decide you like him.

If you like Herbie, you should also check out Chick Corea, another awesome pianist...

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 37
Ever hear Keiko Matsui's work? I took a listen to some of her work on MP3s...and immediately went and bought all 12 of her CDs off Amazon. Definitely broke me into Jazz music (or at least her style of it).

I love this discovering new music thing, it's a blast!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 37
jerikl - I am enjoying my amp very much. It's quite powerful, and it's also quite a bit smaller than I was expecting. I have had it turned up *really* loud and the volume knob wasn't even past 1/2.

Aug 9, 2001 at 9:20 PM Post #23 of 37
Yeah man... some trumpet playing can definately get that way for me too... I prefer the sound of the ol' trombone
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks source direct...

Aug 9, 2001 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 37
Good trombone playing -

I have a recording that I might get onto my computer and post a link to it. It's taken from the recording of the all-state jazz band. Four of us that year, all good friends of mine got the director to let us play a song seperate from the band's original repitoire (sp.?) and we coaxed him into playing with us. He plays trombone, and he is quite the trombone player.
Would anyone be interested in this if I were to make it available?

As far as other good trombone players - check out Robin Eubanks playing on a recording by the Dave Holland Quintet - "Prime Directive" is the name of the CD. This guy's nuts, not to mention all the other good players on that CD.

Aug 10, 2001 at 12:41 AM Post #25 of 37
This is a great thread! Now I have to go shopping.

Some fusion/contemporary artists:

Flim and the BBs - Tricycle. Very dynamic. A must CD for speaker auditions.

Acoustic Alchemy - Reference Point. Guitar Jazz.

Keiko Matsui - Doll. Piano jazz.

Dan Siegel - Northern Nights, or pretty much anything else. This is my favorite keyboard artist (sorry Keiko).

The Rippingtons - Life in the Tropics. These guys are just plain fun.

Flying Monkey Orchestra - Back in the Pool. Tough to describe, but also fun. Founding member was with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Cool track featuring Toots Thielman.

Grant Geissman - In with the Out Crowd. Guitar/band.

If you like any of these, let me know. Jazz is pretty diverse, and I have a lot of this particular style.

Enjoy

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 37
Heyo,

Due to some of the initial suggestions I went out and bought Blue Train, Straight, No Chaser and Sketches of Spain. Other than the fact that Sketches is a little hard to listen to with my Grados (damn, this cd can hurt!) great selections
biggrin.gif

I'll definitely be looking up some of the other suggestions.

- pearle

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 37
Pearle, I felt the same about that CD "Sketches of Spain." Listening on my portable Philips CD/MP3 player connected to my Aphearded 47 portable amp and my Grado RS-1, yes it does hurt!

Oh, I would also suggest any of the Patricia Barber CDs as well. Some of the stuff she plays is just incredible. My latest CD from her is "A Distortion of Love" and it is great.

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #30 of 37
Mingus never hurts.

For some new Latin Jazz, check out David Sanchez.

Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" is a mind trip, with Bobby Hutcherson on vibraphone. Hutcherson's solo albums are also good.

Sketches on LP, by the way, with Grado's, is superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back