Discovered Realtek ALC 888S VD Poor Low Frequency Response
Apr 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

2sick2pray

New Head-Fier
First time on this blog , and don't laugh at my Avatar. I was in a hurry.  I use a HP as my music center, that came with Realtek SoundCard and the ALC 888S VD chip, It all sounds good on paper. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what was missing , almost like the drummer quit during the roll. Download a few audio tests and sure enough I was missing somewhere between 50 hz- 130 hz.  Swapped speakers  and amps and every combo. Conclusion at first was that my 25 yr old Klipsch needed xovers, so I ordered some Crites. I'm thinking about getting a DAC and trying to figure out if I should go Bit perfect or resample. In the course of reading all the imformative threads, I came across one talking about low bass with Realtek and the previous 889. Well I got to thinking and jacked my Ipod straight to my amp and played the low freq. test. Was I happy to find out or not that it was the soundcard all this time. I'm going kick their ass.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 2
Intermodulation Distortion with Realtek ALC 888s vd. I ran the Rightmark Audio Analyzer to see if I had bit perfect coming out of my analog plugin. Thats when I noticed the intermodulation distortion graph. There were to major peaks . I've ran the test several times now with almost identical results. From approx. 48 hz to 73hz  the peak climbs from -81db to -6db approx. the next one is at 7khz and climbs from approx -90db to -33db. To further state that all the other test looked good to my way of thinking including the frequency test. I looked up intermod distortion in wikipedia and it does not sound very good when come to audio output. Now I am positive that it is not my amps  nor my speakers  nor the media players I use, however I am certain the Realtek chipsets are flawed, and I'm hoping someone will check this out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back