Discovered Jamie Cullum through Gran Torino
Jan 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MarcusL

100+ Head-Fier
A few days ago, I watched the film Gran Torino. Enjoyed the film a lot and thought the directing and acting was superb. Anyway, I was amused to hear Clint Eastwood's raspy voice singing the beginning of the song during the closing credits. The song is mainly performed by Jamie Cullum and I found the song quite good: jazzy and kinda old-school. So this afternoon, I picked up Cullum's Heard It All Before CD and now having a blissful time with my phones.

Thanks to the film Gran Torino, I discovered another great artist. I highly recommend his work. Does anyone else here listen to Cullum?

Cheers!!!

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I also loved the movie and enjoyed the song over the final credits. I missed that Cullum was who picked up the lyrics after Eastwood. So thanks for this; I will check him out.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 7
i laughed pretty hard throughout the movie.. call me immature, but i just thought Eastwood played the perfect grudge holding korean-war veteran badass gramp.

I thought it was Eastwood singing the whole time..

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 7
It's a 6 minute track. Eastwood sang the first measure and around 1:30 into the track, it fades and another paino measure fades in and Cullum sings the whole song. Cullum has an awesome voice and piano skills to boot. Eastwood never fails to amaze me every single year with his directing and acting (loved how he directed Changeling). I also never knew he could compose film scores. The soundtrack score of Gran Torino (piano tunes) is so solemn and sad. Glad the film score of Changeling, which Eastwood composed, garnered tons of nominations this award season as well as this closing credits song in Gran Torino.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 7
You absolutely have to see Jamie Cullum live. He is simply one of the most energetic jazz/pop musicians out there. "Twentysomething" (great versions of What A Difference A Day Made and I Could Have Danced All Night) and "Pointless Nostalgic" are good starting points to start your collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back