Discover new/unknown Metal bands (or relatively new/unknown).
Mar 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 28
Gorod has got to be one of the most underrated band out there, their 2 albums are probably the best tech-death albums I have ever heard. Another highly underrated band is Persefone, both of their albums are nothing short of jaw droppingly awesome.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going old school...

Get some vintage Judas Priest.

LOL...maybe we can just "reread" paragraph one of the OP's post...
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 28
End of Man is the best thrash metal band you've never heard of. These guys are the Philippines' best kept secret, if you like '80s style thrash (they sound closest to the glory days of Anthrax) with a modern twist, their debut "Power, Corruption and Lies" will get your head banging.

1229864025_end-of-man-power-corruption-and-lies-2008.jpg

Listen to "Questioning" off of their debut, and download their self-titled EP here:

http://www.endofman.net/

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For input, I'll recommend an Aussie band I mentioned in the power metal thread, Black Majesty.

The best way to describe them would be melodic, progressive power metal. I realise progressive and melodic are often just catch words these days, but I think these guys pull it off well, and the power metal component is more to do with their singing style. There's fairly little cheese involved.

They're still active, and have 3 albums;
Sands of Time - 2003
Silent Company - 2005
Tomorrowland - 2007

I recommend either of the earlier ones first. Difficult to place their influences, but I think fans of Dream Theater, or early prog metal like Fates Warning or Queensryche should like them, as should anyone coming from the power metal side.

Have all 3 albums, Silent Company is my favourite the title track is just brilliant melodic power metal. Was not to keen on the other albums. The vocals get irritating at times. Have you heard Vanishing Point, another Aussie band? A bit more progressive but still powerful and melodic.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have all 3 albums, Silent Company is my favourite the title track is just brilliant melodic power metal. Was not to keen on the other albums. The vocals get irritating at times. Have you heard Vanishing Point, another Aussie band? A bit more progressive but still powerful and melodic.

Yeah, Silent Company is definitely my favourite track as well.

Have heard Fourth Season, by Vanishing Point. I like it quite a bit. They're a band I'm probably going to look into once I come out of the current Death (the band) and tech death (the genre) cycle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gorod has got to be one of the most underrated band out there, their 2 albums are probably the best tech-death albums I have ever heard. Another highly underrated band is Persefone, both of their albums are nothing short of jaw droppingly awesome.

Cool. This is the genre I've been listening to a fair bit lately. I'll definitely see if I can find some.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

I don't understand what "re-read" means... it's almost like A...
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #23 of 28
LOL...you troublemaker
wink.gif
. Re-read: ie read again. While I do love Judas Priest and especially their older stuff like Sad Wings of Destiny, Rocka Rolla, Point of Entry etc, they are NOT a band we have never really "heard" of.
Carry on...
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 28
Mar 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

Huh...
Old is new again... (i blame opeth)
Pre-AoF BOC? Tyranny and Mutation?

I mention old stuff because it's the pre-success material that doesn't make it to the greatest hits compilations and gets ignored over time.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 28
Band: Old Wainds
Album: Scalding Coldness
Active:1996-
Genre: Black Metal

The album title gives as good a description as any.This is raw,cold black metal in the vein of Darkthrone, Burzum, Graveland.They're not a clone band, though; there is a lot of variation in their songwriting.I don't know what their other albums are like but this is definately recommended.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh...
Old is new again... (i blame opeth)
Pre-AoF BOC? Tyranny and Mutation?

I mention old stuff because it's the pre-success material that doesn't make it to the greatest hits compilations and gets ignored over time.

OK. I stand corrected. Once again...carry on
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 28
Machinae Supremacy
Album... well, the free stuff you can (or used to? haven't been there in a while) download from their website like SIDology 1-3 and stuff.
Genre- VGM Metal - mixing Commodore 64 chiptunes with power metal.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back