Discover new/unknown Metal bands (or relatively new/unknown).
Mar 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

vampire666

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, we have a bunch of Metal threads, but I couldn’t find anything like this (if there is already sorry, but it looks like I’m blind): what about letting us know of unknown metal bands (or relatively unknown), those that probably we never heard of, but that you feel that are good and deserve batter fame. No specific sub-genre…all metal.

I’ll start: some days ago I stumbled upon these guys here:
Band: Many Thing Untold
Album (their only): Atlantic

For my taste I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and rhythm of these….kids. (lol, their videos and general look is a bit pathetic (considering the sound and way they sing), they look more as an emo band....but that has nothing to do with their ability to create music which is good).

Check them out on Youtube.

What are your finds/suggestions?

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 28
You know, just as a suggestion, you might want to expand a little bit here, rather than just degenerating into YALT (yet another list thread). Considering the discussion is "bands you've never heard of", it seems silly to just list the band without providing at least the genre, time frame (are they still active?), best album, influences, etc. Maybe provide a link, too.

Again, just a suggestion.
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 28
Yeah...I guess you are right.
The thing is that the purpose of this thread is to discover good music that otherwise would be difficult to find, and I really don't know how I should restrict the topic since I listen to every genre of metal (oh, well, almost every).

Well...
-Time frame: I would say from 2000?
-Indicate the Best album or even one of their best songs (possible with a youtube link so we can directly get the idea)?
-Link of their site if they have any?
-Indicate the genre of the band?
-Indicate what is their closest similar sounding famous band?

Heh...not many restrictions...it's more cataloging...
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, just as a suggestion, you might want to expand a little bit here, rather than just degenerating into YALT (yet another list thread). Considering the discussion is "bands you've never heard of", it seems silly to just list the band without providing at least the genre, time frame (are they still active?), best album, influences, etc. Maybe provide a link, too.

Again, just a suggestion.
beerchug.gif

Is laziness a virtue to you?

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 28
Yeah, but if you want people to listen to them (the general idea of posting in a thread like this), you have to give them some context. There are more good bands out there than there are weeks of my life, so why am I going to put off getting a hold of/listening to some of the excellent stuff that's still reasonably well known but I haven't heard yet to listen to an obscure band of unknown subgenre and style. Especially if this thread actually gets populated.

Not everyone torrents all their music and listens to it once. So yes, I think it is too much to ask someone to listen to a band simply because you post their name on the thread. If you think they're good and worth sharing, you'll give them their due in a writeup.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 28
For input, I'll recommend an Aussie band I mentioned in the power metal thread, Black Majesty.

The best way to describe them would be melodic, progressive power metal. I realise progressive and melodic are often just catch words these days, but I think these guys pull it off well, and the power metal component is more to do with their singing style. There's fairly little cheese involved.

They're still active, and have 3 albums;
Sands of Time - 2003
Silent Company - 2005
Tomorrowland - 2007

I recommend either of the earlier ones first. Difficult to place their influences, but I think fans of Dream Theater, or early prog metal like Fates Warning or Queensryche should like them, as should anyone coming from the power metal side.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 28
Papsmear was a thrash metal band from Vegas who broke up in the late 80's or early 90's. It was pretty much impossible to find their stuff until a few months ago, when a new record label named M-Theory released a compilation of some of their demos and live stuff. It's really fantastic. In fact, the coolest thing that happened to me in recent months is that the guitarist from Papsmear actually contacted me through last.fm and said he was happy to see people still diggin' their music. Highly recommended. M-Theory also has plans to re-release "Product of A Sick Mind" by The Horde of Torment, another defunct thrash band from Vegas. \m/

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 28
I got one I mentioned the other day(on one of the metal threads) and nobody said poopoo about it:

The Deadlights, The Deadlights (2000) it was their only(and self-titled) album but really good. I really love the song "Junk". Somebody listen and tell me what genre it is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deadlights I could find nothing on iTunes and no myspcae...PM me and maybe I can send you a song on IM or sump'n..."Junk" is a wicked tune man...

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 28
Grand Magus. Check out their newest CD, Iron Will. Grand Magus are a modern band from Sweden, but they play a traditional/viking metal style. Their lead singer has a powerful voice - reminds me of bigger viking version of Dio.

YouTube - Grand Magus-Like The Oar Strikes The Water

Also, The Ocean. A lot of you have probably heard of them, but if not, check out their newest album, Precambrian. The Ocean is a progressive/hardcore/post-metal band from Germany. They blend metal with classical and electronic elements in a really unique way.

YouTube - Rhyacian: Untimely Meditations, by The Ocean

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 28
Garden Wall - Forget the Colours

I never really hear anything about this band, and to be honest, after owning this album for some years I still don't really know what to think of it. The best description I can muster is a metal version of Van Der Graaf Generator wrapped up in a RIO aesthetic along the lines of Thinking Plague. Throw some Coroner in there, as well.

All in all, Forget the Colours is a pretty warped album. Cool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back