Discount Denon D5000 still VFM?
Nov 26, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sixshades

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first I'd just like to say that this is my first post and I appreciate all the input that I've seen put into this site. Unlike many others I've been to it seems to concentrate on the important stuff (great sounds) and not the negative stuff like being derogatory or condescending to each other - although I'm sure it exists in pockets as it does in life generally. Anyway, great stuff, thanks.

I do have a question too if you don't mind:

I've been looking at getting the Denon D2000's as from what I've read here they offer better VFM than the Denon D5000 for people where price is a major deciding factor. It is for me and I was almost going to order them when I stumbled across a website in the UK that sells the Denon D5000 headphones for £399 AND a discount code for £80 off i.e. get them for £319 with free delivery.

Bearing in mind that the D2000 are £189 on some sites - does the price of £319 for the D5000's merit a rethink on the VFM comments? Or is the £130 difference still too much for the small difference between them. As ever, I appreciate that it all down to personal choice but your thoughts are most welcome.
Cheers.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 12
if we assume that the drivers are the same between the D2000 and D5000, then is it worth the £130 difference for wood cups and a different cable? Personally, if I had the money to spend and it was the cheapest I've seen it offered in the last few months, then I'd probably buy it.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Never heard the D2000's, but from what I've read their sound character is a bit different, a tad more upfront and lively, whereas the D5000's have an overall warmer and more refined character.
Some prefer the D2000's. simply because of their livelier presentation.

Here's a comparison of closed headphones, including the D2000's and D5000's
Marktübersicht: Geschlossene Kopfhörer - ein Review - Round - Up, Reviews und lesenswerte KH-Themen - HIFI-FORUM

Translated from German with the help from translategoogle.com and some corrections of my own: Quote:

Sound:
The Denon AH-D5000 in one word: "Sennheiser ... at work?" Provocative, yes. But certainly not inappropriate,
although again, not really suitable. The Middle Denon characterized on the one hand through a
otherwise rather from Sennheiser familiar warmth, but sounds much more alive than the "typical stereotype Sennheiser"
as it exists in this forum.
The vitality takes the Denon especially from the bass. Not unlike the D2000 and the
Deeper layers still emphasized a little bit more, the D5000 uses this emphasis into the fundamental range
gone. Just like his little brother is the bass range is not the fastest, in fact overstated.
It is somewhere precision fallen by the wayside.
The aforementioned heat comes from the combination of slight forward mids with a slightly withdrawn
Presence area. This is reflected in full, strong voices, as well as warm and colorful-sounding
Wooden instruments. Brass instruments, and those will be with ailing / plucked metal strings of something
Gloss taken. The audibly but not suffer, like the D2000, as the restraint in the presence of the field
is not as pronounced. Accordingly, also the break to heights not so marked as in
his little brother, although the heights are similar stresses, but this is not exactly why so much
noticed. And here we are again at the entrance provocative thesis. Because thanks to this slight emphasis on high
slipping the listener into nothing "Mumpfige" from, never sounds dull or undifferentiated. The heights are a
Type counterpoint to other warm character, however good a fit despite a slight accent. Basically
suffering from the same symptoms as the height of her little brother, it is thanks to the other vote,
that's not so much the weight falls. Thus, you would look for sharp S-sounds in vain.
Of stage similar to the D2000, but due to the warmer vote, everything plays out
something closer to the head off.

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the wood cups make a difference (even if it's small) ... that and it's dead sexy.

Ha! yes, that's the problem I have too. If someone said to me that it's been proven that these two models sound exactly the same but it's £50 extra for the wooden cups then I'd probably think it was worth it. Whether I could afford it is another matter. Obviously, I have some degree of resources at my disposal but I also need to buy a headphone amp for the cans I do buy so I'm not against saving some cash too - I'm just easily led astray.

I will probably go for the D5000 tomorrow (before the voucher runs out) as I suspect a cable upgrade for the D2000 is probably going to cost £50 anyway and I'd always be wondering 'what if' - would this be right about the cable cost?
Actually, while I'm here, any suggestions on an amp for under £100. Not now, but inthe not too distant future.
Thanks again.

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Have been hunting these same phones for mounths now, the are pretty hard to come by in EU, Scandinavia atleast. I was just wondering where you found those fine deals?
Care to share
smily_headphones1.gif
?

I need the phones for producing electronic music.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonasklam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have been hunting these same phones for mounths now, the are pretty hard to come by in EU, Scandinavia atleast. I was just wondering where you found those fine deals?
Care to share
smily_headphones1.gif
?

I need the phones for producing electronic music.

Hi, the website is a UK one called 'http://advancedmp3players.co.uk/' and when you order the headphones you have to enter 'AFXDEN' to get the £80 discount. Not sure if it works on anything else but it worked when I went to order them today - as a test!

They are out of stock tonight but I called them earlier and they are getting a delivery tomorrow morning (Friday 27th November 2009) and so should be on the site by the afternoon. I was also told that you can pre-order them now and still use the discount code - but I can't confirm this. For me in the UK this gives a final price including any tax and delivery of £319.20.
I don't like to pre-order things any more after being stung a couple of times by other websites stating they were 'getting a delivery soon' and being made to wait for weeks. No reason to suspect these guys of being like this though as the girl I spoke to was very helpful and even checked their back office system to confirm the expected delivery - without me asking her to do, just by being polite to her I guess. Still, once bitten...hence I will wait to confirm they are in stock tomorrow.
HTH

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard the D2000's, but from what I've read their sound character is a bit different, a tad more upfront and lively, whereas the D5000's have an overall warmer and more refined character.
Some prefer the D2000's. simply because of their livelier presentation.

Here's a comparison of closed headphones, including the D2000's and D5000's
Marktübersicht: Geschlossene Kopfhörer - ein Review - Round - Up, Reviews und lesenswerte KH-Themen - HIFI-FORUM

Translated from German with the help from translategoogle.com and some corrections of my own:

Hi, thanks for the translation but I couldn't make much sense of it to be honest. I think the grammar is a little jumbled. I've assumed it is saying that there are differences between them, some positives for each model, but not much of a difference overall?!
I appreciate your help though, thanks again.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 12
You'd be surprised to know how much of a difference the wood cups and different cable on the D5000 makes.

The D2000s bass is out of control completely, people complain about the D5000s being overpowering but in comparison to D2K it's nothing. However, if you plan to modify these in the future, the D2K is a better option.

For example, I'm considering recabling my D5000s, and possibly changing the wood cups (since I bought the D5Ks already I probably won't end up doing this). If I had bought the D2K I would've saved $200 on the headphones which would've been able to give them wood cups, then the only difference would've been the cable, which I may end up replacing anyways.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Probably won't ever mod them apart from possibly the earpads. I see you have the JMoney ones - any good. They looked a little deep to me but does that help bring the cones away from the ear?

Could you expand on the D5000's being overpowering. What type of music or frequency is this most prevalant in.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, while I'm here, any suggestions on an amp for under £100. Not now, but inthe not too distant future.
Thanks again.

they sound great with my little dot I+. An amp is neccesary for these headphones and it's not about buying an expensive amp, it's about buying a right amp.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, thanks for the translation but I couldn't make much sense of it to be honest. I think the grammar is a little jumbled. I've assumed it is saying that there are differences between them, some positives for each model, but not much of a difference overall?!
I appreciate your help though, thanks again.

The writer (m00h) of that headphones comparison thread on that German forum which I quoted is a member of Head-fi as-well and in this thread he wrote the following about the D2000s in comparison with the D5000s

Quote:

The difference between D2000 and D5000 is quite obvious. Not from the technical point of view but from tonality. The D2000 has strong bass and an emphasis in the heights. Mids are kind of recessed. Headstage is big and almost 3D like but lacks in difinition.
The D5000 is much warmer tuned. It even has a little more bass then the D2000 has in direct comparison but due to the fact that the mids aren't as recessed as in the D2000s you don't feel like it's more.
The mids are warm, rich and colorful and the heights are much better integrated, nothing really sticks out. The presentation is a bit more involving and kind of "private".
Like I said before, from the technical point of view neither of the two is better.
But if you like the warmer presentation of the D5000 over the cool mids of the D2000 I would consider the upgrade if I were you (also depending on amping).

m00h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back