DiscoProJoe’s Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 4.0 (complete user guide)
Dec 4, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 28
Progress update:

I tried two more experimental parametric-EQ settings, but neither of them passed muster.

---------------

Experiment #1: Moved the 2,000 Hz band to 2,500 Hz, and changed its Q-factor from 1.0 Q to 1.3 Q. Also moved the 1,000 Hz band to 1,250 Hz, and kept its Q-factor at the default 1.0 Q.

The result: an even-wider soundstage, but too much "harshness" in the upper midrange and lower mid-treble. I guess you could call this "too much soundstage." Too fatiguing to the ears.

----------------

Experiment #2: Only moved the 1,000 Hz band to 1,250 Hz, and changed its Q-factor from 1.0 Q to 1.3 Q.

The result: slightly-better soundstage and a better overall sound during songs' openings and verses,...but their choruses (and parts with louder, higher-pitched vocals) sounded a little too harsh and fatiguing to the ears.

----------------

So at this point, it looks like the only parametric-EQ change that's necessary is with the lowest EQ band, as described in my previous post.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 28
Another quick experiment that didn't "pass": On the highest EQ band (normally 16 kHz), I tried changing the Q-factor from its default setting of 0.7 Q...to 1.0 Q.

The result: When listening to songs that normally sound best with the "Less Treble" and "Reduced Treble" subcategories in DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, this change made it sound brighter, so I had to use the next duller treble subcategory for the song to sound decent. With that, those songs had an extra "sparkle" up top (which sounded kind of cool), but didn't sound as natural as the default Q-factor setting for 16 kHz. Also, if I were to use this experimental setting, then I'd tend to run out of room sooner when choosing bigger bass increments on songs that need those, because I'd have to use duller treble subcategories that don't have as many bass increments!

Anyway, yesterday I also quickly tried changing the highest EQ band from 16 kHz to 12.8 kHz, and its Q-factor from 0.7 Q to 0.9 Q. On songs that normally use the "Less Treble" and "Reduced Treble" subcategories in that experiment, those songs lost their high-end sparkle, and their mid-treble sounded harsher. So that idea was discarded, too.

Oh well,...just thought I'd mention some little musings for you. :)

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 28
Also, if you're wondering, I refuse to mess with any of the parametric settings on the midbass / lower-midrange EQ bands (i.e., 64 - 500 Hz) at any time in the foreseeable future.

There is a "bleed-over" effect from the Rockbox bass-boost feature, plus from the bass-boost switch on the Cayin C5 amp, which DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets adjust for. If I were to mess with any of these midbass / lower-midrange EQ bands in my presets, then I'd have to figure out an entire new adjustment formula for my "EQ presets 1" set, versus the "EQ presets Cayin C5" set of presets, in order for them to sound the same. I'd also have to come up with a separate new adjustment formula for the "special" midbass categories in the EQ presets when not using the Rockbox bass-boost feature, so they also can sound the same.

Basically, tampering with the midbass / lower-midrange EQ bands at this point would be like smacking a hornet's nest. They sound great already, so I'd say...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #19 of 28
Finally,...here it is...

DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 4.1!

You can download the brand-new .zip file from Dropbox at...

http://tinyurl.com/jkvcv4z

(If you get any login menus, just click "No thanks" to continue.)

If you are in China, you can download this same .zip file from Baidu at...

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1i5FhIjN

(Click the button near the top of the screen that says "884KB" to download.)

Within the next week, I'll be re-posting my long article with all the updated information on a new topic thread. When it's finished, I'll also post a link to it on this thread.  But...I will not be making a new video about it...as long as I have my current equipment! (I'll just add some new text underneath the video, mentioning the newer version.)

Oh well,...enjoy, enjoy,...and feedback is welcome! 
atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 28
...and feedback is welcome! 
atsmile.gif

I’ve updated to your latest presets. Listening to some progressive rock with the Xtra Smooth Classic 1 preset on my iPod Nano (1st generation) with my BeyerDynamic T50p, I find the the sound to be more detailed, tighter and slightly more dynamic. Very enjoyable!

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 28
I've finally finished updating my EQ-preset article on my blogs for Version 4.1:

http://eqpresets.blogspot.com
(Blogspot; contains lots of American web links within the text)

http://alturl.com/m8ib9
(Sina Blog; contains lots of Chinese web links within the text)

Phew! That was a ton of work. Within the text, you can check out the updated specific EQ presets that sound best for those 12 songs listed. I've also substituted two of these songs for other ones. The listing for the Goo Goo Dolls' "Name" has been replaced with Vanessa Williams' "Save the Best for Last." I've also replaced Kelly Clarkson's "Mr. Know It All" with Passenger's "Let Her Go."

Anyway, I've decided to make a short 1-to-2-minute video after all, quickly mentioning the new version. Once I make the new video and upload it, then I'll finally get around to posting an updated article for Version 4.1 here on Head-Fi!

In the meantime, you can enjoy somewhat of a sneak preview of the article at my blog links above. Happy reading. 
ph34r.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Dec 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #23 of 28
Mar 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #24 of 28
Hi guys. Please help me. I was wondering how I can view all the albums under one Artist without putting the songs in Alphabetical order mixing the songs around, I like to view all the songs in the order that they appear in an individual album but showing more than one album for a particular Artist selected. Is there a plugin or fix to install onto my current Rockbox configuration?? I have the most stable version of Rockbox for the iPod Video 5.5 gen. I think it's 3.15 or something

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #25 of 28
Hi guys. Please help me. I was wondering how I can view all the albums under one Artist without putting the songs in Alphabetical order mixing the songs around, I like to view all the songs in the order that they appear in an individual album but showing more than one album for a particular Artist selected. Is there a plugin or fix to install onto my current Rockbox configuration?? I have the most stable version of Rockbox for the iPod Video 5.5 gen. I think it's 3.15 or something

Hi GreatD,

Well, your best bet would be to ask about that on this topic thread (click the link). My guess is to try playing around with the "Database" menu on the main menu in Rockbox, but I personally never use that, so I don't know. Sorry!

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #27 of 28
Hey Joe

You should try to get/borrow a Fiio X5 3rd gen. They offer there in Fiio Store a Rockbox application. It's slightly different from the app you can get on the Rockbox page, as it has a 30 (!) band parametric EQ + additional bass boost with cut off frequencies.
The app is not the most stable thing I saw on Android (crashes when pausing etc.), but playing around with this monster can be quite interesting :wink:

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #28 of 28
  Hey Joe

You should try to get/borrow a Fiio X5 3rd gen. They offer there in Fiio Store a Rockbox application. It's slightly different from the app you can get on the Rockbox page, as it has a 30 (!) band parametric EQ + additional bass boost with cut off frequencies.
The app is not the most stable thing I saw on Android (crashes when pausing etc.), but playing around with this monster can be quite interesting :wink:

Interesting to know, although a 10-band parametric EQ is all I need, along with a range of at least +24 dB to -24, a volume precut feature, and a separate bass-boost feature of +12 dB.

If it crashes a lot when pausing, then it would be a major problem for me. I also am happy with my old-school flip phone and refuse to get a smartphone.

Anyway, would you (and everyone else) mind posting your replies to the new thread, instead?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828885/discoprojoe-s-rockbox-eq-presets-version-4-1-complete-user-guide

I probably should ask a moderator to lock this old "4.0" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back