Discographies
Jan 4, 2021 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Carolina Pitbull

100+ Head-Fier
I saw the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody in late 2018. I never really got into the band when I was a teen in the 80's. I heard the singles on the radio and in movies and liked them, I just never had the desire to dig deeper into their music. Bohemian Rhapsody made me decide to listen to their entire catalog in chronological order. This gave me a totally new appreciation for their music as a whole.

For 2020 I revisited several of my favorite bands and a few I had never dug into but had always had a peripheral interest in. I have always considered Iron Maiden and Rush as two of my favorite bands. I stopped listening to anything new by either band somewhere in the late 90's or early 2000's and just kept listening to the classic albums that I knew and loved. This seems to be pretty common for most people I know. They just get stuck listening to whatever it was the liked in high school and/or college.

Studio albums are the only thing I focus on when listening to a discography. No live albums. No compilations. The 2020 list was as follows:
  • January - Iron Maiden - 16 albums
  • February - Judas Priest - 18 albums
  • March - Rush - 19 albums
  • April - Manowar - 11 albums
  • May - Dream Theater - 14 albums
  • June - Slayer - 12 albums
  • July - Opeth - 13 albums
  • August - Saxon - 22 albums
  • September - Mastodon - 7 albums
  • October - Motorhead - 22 albums
  • November - Tool - 6 albums
  • December - Gojira - 6 albums
I can not recommend this process enough! I totally enjoyed getting to listen to the progression that each band experienced during their careers. I had a real sense of how they progressed musically, lyrically and production styles. Several of these bands I was aware of but had not listened to any album front to back. Notably Manowar, Motorhead, Tool and Gojira.

I did not listen to each band exclusively during the month I had selected for them. I did tend to get a bit bored with each band after listening to 4 or 5 albums in a single day. Saxon in particular was a real slog fest, followed closely by Motorhead.

I have just about selected all the bands that I plan to do this with in 2021. Truly just hoping that this year is better in every way than the crap show that was 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back