DISASTER!!! TSA took my amps!!!
Jan 7, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #91 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Gods I swear those perverts at Birmingham International just like patting me down!

You think that could be it? I mean, if I was a drooling idiot like most of these security guards and an attractive female was in my line, the most obvious thing to do would be to violate her privacy ASAP.
redface.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #92 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
They could always pop open the mint tin. An inspector with enough knowledge would see that it has 9v batteries, opamps, resistors, and capacitors. No wireless transmitters or capacitors capable of stunning anyone.

I suppose, if they hired electrical engineering majors to do airport screenings. I really don't see how anyone can deny that an altoids tin filled with batteries and wires and electronic stuff would look extremely suspicious and in a time when we have people making bombs out of shoes you can't be too careful. Again, they should provide a way to ship the item back to you after TSA has had a good look at it

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #93 of 195
I keep on hearing providing a way for the passenger to ship the item back and I've asked the question before but no one had an answer.
Did any actually see a USPS mail drop near the security checkpoint at any of the airports you've been in during the holiday?
And, does one actually think the airport or the TSA would actually provide one for passengers that have items from the prohibited list and would rather have it sent home or to the destination?
I concede on the mint altoid tins but a commercially made amp such as the porta corda should not have been taken.
edit, I just checked the JFK website, there's no mention of US mail services found or anything resembling a mail box or post office. Would it be in the "non Sterile" area before the gates, at the check in counters?

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #94 of 195
I think this thread should be copied to the amp and portable sections. It's an important and pertinent warning to one and all.

I'm about to fly from LA to DC, and I don't think I'll be taking any portable gear with me. Bloody shame

I now carry a couple of different-sized padded envelopes with me when I fly and a bunch of stamps. Twice now I forgot a penknife in my briefcase, and was able to mail them back to myself. Just a thought......and it was only a while a go that having a penknife was being prepared!!!!

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #95 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
What's kind of funny is, policemen actually have to take IQ tests in order to become officers. I saw this on an episode of The Aweful Truth (with Michael Moore). The thing is, the IQ test isn't to disqualify those who are too dumb, but rather to filter out the ones who are too smart! But then again, it is Michael Moore--you can never know what to believe with that guy.

That kinda stuff only happens in movies and little Bumblefudge towns or in places where the Sheriff's on the take (or a complete incompetant). In the real world, police officer candidates get a full psychological evaluation before they're even hired onto the force, and will undergo additional tests & screenings for various positions.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #96 of 195
whether the IQ test is true or not, There are groups out there that help their own pass the "pysch" test so they know ahead of time what answers to say.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #97 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
I think this thread should be copied to the amp and portable sections. It's an important and pertinent warning to one and all.

I'm about to fly from LA to DC, and I don't think I'll be taking any portable gear with me. Bloody shame

I now carry a couple of different-sized padded envelopes with me when I fly and a bunch of stamps. Twice now I forgot a penknife in my briefcase, and was able to mail them back to myself. Just a thought......and it was only a while a go that having a penknife was being prepared!!!!

Where are the mailbox drop boxes at LAX?

I must admit, I've never looked for one of those.

Mailing something is the last thing on my mind when I'm at the LAX Zoo. It'll be on the forefront of my mind now.

Does anyone else enjoy the irony of the name "LAX Security".
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #98 of 195
Quote:

Does anyone else enjoy the irony of the name "LAX Security".

Hey Ed, wouldn't that be better than if you'd been fired for spending too much time in the facilities? Then you'd be "Ex-LAX Security".

Yeah, I know...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #99 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
I think I'm going to become a TSA "agent", just so I can confiscate tons of cool gear and sell it on e-bay. I'll make a fortune. "I'm sorry sir, your digital camera, PDA, portable cd player, and notebook all could be bombs. I'm going to have to take that." -- "Will I get it back" -- "Hahahahah!" -- "No seriously, that's my property, I want it back!" -- "Then I suggest you start bidding, sucker!".

biggrin.gif
frown.gif
Actually, not a single person on this thread has bothered to note that with the devices being provable to function as described not returning them is a (technical) violation of the 4th Amendment, for the seizure would be unreasonable due to the goods being of no true security risks (OK, why have most of my posts on this forum lately been about legal standings??)

This is why they made you fill out the forms for identification of the materials, GS. Technically, according to the highest law of the land, once the goods have been proven to have been confiscated under wrong pretenses they are required to be returned to you.

However, they assume that since almost nobody knows their Constitutional rights in this regards they can just seize them (illegally) and sell them for governmental purposes and everyone will just sit on their hands.

Sure, this is a bit of a grey area but at the end, in court, it is most likely that the issue would be found in your favor. The TSA's were too aggressive in the confiscation (they allowed the Walkmen of the passengers on, didn't they?? So why were those "electronic boxes" of a lower risk?? ) for a simple functionality test would have proven the device were as you claimed.

Some TSA agent's little ego was a bit out of control that day, apparently.

Stick it to them, hold to those claim forms, and make them return those goods which they "confiscated" but have no legal "seizure" rights to.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #100 of 195
Maybe the guy knew what it was and wanted it. The person!

Anyway, isn't there a way to get the TSA to actually get some standard set for headphone amps? The Head-Fi community is only getting bigger and it would be wise to start recognizing that.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #101 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
biggrin.gif
frown.gif
Actually, not a single person on this thread has bothered to note that with the devices being provable to function as described not returning them is a (technical) violation of the 4th Amendment, for the seizure would be unreasonable due to the goods being of no true security risks (OK, why have most of my posts on this forum lately been about legal standings??)

It was somewhat implied in my post # 57....
biggrin.gif

BTW the process of verification of the risk is in essence a process that will necessarely falsely identify many items as dangerous. It's in the nature of the system. Unreasonable? Easy said after the fact...

Also, even if your item is on the list that are allowed by the authorities if the they have doubts, in any shape or form, they will take it from you, list or not.

Amicalement

P.S. Usually the auction is reserve to items:
1) not reclaimed by it's rightfull owner even after a positive evaluation in is favor. It becomes a *Res nullius* following is inaction.
2) that are not allowed by the regulation.

In the 1) scenario if the item is wanted back it should be return. In the scenario 2) it wont.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #102 of 195
Before we get to the 4th Amendment, we have to know whether there is anything in the agreement that covers your airline ticket that consents the search and seizure.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #103 of 195
OK...I want to start by saying that what happened to gsferrari sucks, and I don't blame him or anyone for not being happy about it. However, before we get TOO far afield, I have a suggestion:

I've heard a lot of complaints about intrusive searches, accusations of improper conduct, and general nastiness directed at those charged with protecting our safety. However, I've heard precious little about how to deal with this as a practical matter. Of all the posts I've seen thus far, only kiwirugby has made a truly useful suggestion about how one might deal with this proactively.

Since we now know that there are potential issues around the transport of our portable electronics, how do we now deal with it? Has anyone called TSA to determine the best way to deal with transporting portable electronics? What are their procedures? Would showing up a bit early help? Is there a special check-through one might request as a pre-emptive measure? What should one do if one's portable electronics are seized? Are there receipts available? What is the procedure one need go through to retrieve one's gear? If wronged, is there a grievance procedure? Is asking for a supervisor a particularly helpful exercise? What exactly ARE our rights in a situation of this nature?

Complaining about what a bunch of knuckle-dragging, perverted, racist, criminal morons these folks are is pointless (to say nothing of offensive). As a practical matter, our community needs to understand what the potential issues are regarding the transport of gear like this, and how to work the system. I'd suggest that these energies now spent bitching are best spent in more productive ways.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #104 of 195
I will give TSA a call on Monday as I will traveling to Chicago at the end of the month. I hope it is easier to speak to a human being when I call them then it is when I call the Treasury Dept. to get a license to go to Cuba. I will try and find out what I can and post sometime after I speak to someone. I am afraid that the answer will be that we should pack our amps and suffer the few hours on the plane with ampless portable players. Unfortunately, the enforcement of the rules at the security checkpoints seem to vary from airport to airport and day to day.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #105 of 195
I have traveled quite a bit both before and after 9/11 with electronics and I have never had an issue. I by nature expect delays so I always try and go early so I am not rushed. I also agree with the earlier comment about the traveler bag. I found that they were normally intrigued by all the zippers and how functional it is. I tell a story about Orlando where I held up several stations while they all came to look t my stuff. After a couple of minutes of a whole crowd of inspectors looking at it they called me over and asked where they could buy it. My gear is always in its own bag and I always shove it through separately so they do not have to dig through a backpack to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back