Disassembling the HD545, Questions
Nov 25, 2005 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eien

New Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD545s, and the left ear is a lot quieter than the right. I once read a manual on how to open up the HD580/600s and fix the jack-spring problem that way. The problem is, that way requires having the metal mesh on the back, which the 545s do not have. I am trying to figure out the best way to open them, seeing as the back does not open up as conveniently as the 600s. My best guess would be to take off the ear-pads and work from there, but I am not sure what the best way to go about that is. I tried to pry off the earpieces once and only wore at the plastic. I know what to do past opening. All advice is appreciated.

Nov 26, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Nov 26, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eien
Surely someone must know...?

I don't think there are many of us HD545 owners left, and I've never opened mine up . . . I can tell you that the ear pads are user replaceable. They are held by the collar and snap right out. No retainers other than the rim. Mine come off easily with a little tugging around the edge.

BW

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, it took some faith, but the dissassembly is simple enough when you know how... as there are no screws involved.

So you pull the ear cushions/padding off. Just pull out, the snap out... yes, it takes faith.

Behind them is a small foam pad.

The headband, where it pivots on the ear piece, can be removed. Just pull out where the pivot point attaches, its just a pin... just enough to clear the hole.

The two cables with the wires pull directly out. THe red and black connectors are plugs, just grab the hard plastic plug (not the wire) and pull it straight down. It will disconnect form the socket.

The finally disassembly is also just snap-apart. The inside is held in by another plastic insert, the rim of which you can see just protruding around the edge of the main housing. Carefully grab the lip and pull it out a little at a time, working your way around. It will just pop out. The main works are on the inside, and also snap out, carefully pull it out, and viola - you have access to the wires and springs.

280smile.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 8
I wanted to express my gratitude for this thread. I have a pair of 545HDs, which I purchased last century. They are the only headphones I've ever purchased for me, and they became unusable in the last year. The cables have been loose for some time, the headband is completely flat(the foam seems to have completely 'leaked out'), and finally the cables stopped conducting(unless you hold one in each hand and cram them into the ear pieces). I thought I would have to finally ditch them, but I hate ditching things, so I searched and found this thread.

Armed with the disassembly knowledge above, I purchased new cables(upgraded to 092885 with 092595 adapter) and ear cushions, which Sennheiser still ship(but no headband for this model). The procedure went exactly as Minok described. I just wanted to let the thread know(even if it may be dead), and try to post pictures of this. I must say, I'm impressed there are no metal fastening bits anywhere, and yet none of the plastic/composite pieces truly snapped off. Very clever design.

Each of my kids borrowed these before I made them get their own(which explains the cable failing completely), but still, almost 20 years of service takes its toll. Now they are refurbished, and I'm a happy camper. For what it is worth, I also recently repaired my 3-head cassette deck(also from last century), and my NAD 716(1994), so we've been listening to vinyl and magnetic tape. Now I'm pleased to me doing so with these great headphones. And the kids have been banned. They aren't happy about that, because in comparison, their headphones, well, don't really compare.

Now, can someone tell me how to rescue the headband?!

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Nice, i'm a new member & have the same HD 545. Same condiction, wonder if i could purchase the hd 600 drivers & just do a swap out 2 for 2???? Any one know if thay will just fit?
Thanks n advance :)

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Better late than never... my two HD 545's had the foam just finally go totally flat. They just don't make foam that lasts 20 years :)
One can order foam replacement ear-pads, inside the cup foam pads (that were also disintegrating) and a new headband over eBay from China. I'm in the process of installing it now.

s-l1600.jpg

While open trying to adjust one of the springs as the contact is intermittent on that one ear (wish me good luck so I don't break the tiny wires). I've managed to get the spring out - and re-space the gaps to provide a better plug connection, however as the 545's don't have the pinned in wire the higher models HD 6xxx series did, I may have broken the wire off or it gets pushed in by the spring itself via friction - I'll have to get it home where I've got the magnifier goggles and better lighting.

I can say the replacement head band is about an inch shorter than the original - but I 'think' it is long enough so that should still be better than the totally flat version I had where the hard plastic of the head-band rested on my skull.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back