Disappointing results?
May 13, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 22
When using the HD600 with the OTL32 I always thought the sound to be alot better with the voltage switch in the high position. A much stronger and more enjoyable sound. I suggest leaving the whole system running with music through it for 2-3 days strait. Hope it works out for you.
600smile.gif

May 13, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 22
Can you be more specific about what you don't like? Where is it lacking? That will help people make more informed recos.

May 14, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #18 of 22
Thanks for the explanations. I'm not going to lie to you and pretend that I understand everything about headphone specifications.

Well, I'll finally have some time this weekend to listen to the headphones; however, last night I had some time to go between the jack of the RX-V1 and the ASL OTL32. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference.

I listened to a variety of music, but it sounded the same through both amplifiers.

I think I'm going to send the OTL32 back to AA. I have about a month before their 30-day refund policy expires.

I didn't believe the OTL32 is worth the 600 dollars - not for my purposes anyway.

I guess I may have to go to plan B and sell my SACD 1000 to get a used Pioneer DV-AX10.

Anyone have this unit?

Grazie mille,

Carlito

May 14, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 22
Nothing worse than being underimpressed with new gear but that is the potential nature of the "burn in" beast.

But on the subject of impedance. It might be worth a look at Miere's site. In his technical section he describes Ro and its implications. If your headphone jack impedance is high (typical on a lot of reciever/speaker amps with headphone jacks), you might have a lot of attenuation of the treble. Jan has the graphs showing this. A resistor in parrallel may help solve this, and as always Jan gives good guidance on this too.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 14, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 22
erc,

if you don't like it, return it. I believe that you jumped into the deep end too soon. You'll need a long time to train your hearing as evidenced by your saying that you cannot tell the difference between your receiver headphone jack and your basic amp. Baring the impedance issue (which I say you should ignore), the receiver headphone amp section has an inherent "sound" and you should look for other amps to compare it to. I strongly suggest that you refrain from buying an auxiliary cable for the HD600 as it may just be throwing money away.

Did you connect the basic amp directly to the DVDP? or did you connect it to the tape outputs of your receiver? I suggest you connect the amp directly to the DVDP RCA outputs using good Interconnect Cables.

You might have been happier if you had worked your way up, say by starting with a K240S/55, DT531, (or other ~$100 headphone). Your hearing could then have been trained to appreciate subtle nuances. For just "Wow!" factor, you could have started with Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back