Disappointing New Releases
Oct 23, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 40
Music is sort of a moving target - but isn't that part of the fun? As long as there is enough good stuff from unexpected corners in return, I won't complain too much. (Admittedly you may be out of luck if you mainly focus on a single genre and it's just not a good year for this one.)

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #17 of 40
all of these artists recently put out albums that were not as good as i had hoped.

- regina spektor (far)
- st. vincent (actor)
- maria taylor (lady luck)
- ingrid michaelson (everybody)
- hope sandoval (through the devil softly)
- katie melua (pictures)

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 40
the new No Age ep was a disappointment for the one time i've listened to it so far. Especially since it's only four songs, one of which was released on Subpop's website for free and happens to be the best song on the ep.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 40
I thought Regina Spektors Far was decent. I wouldnt say I was dissapointed, its no classic, but it didnt make me skip and forget about it.

For me, this year showed so much promise, yet very few came through. Biggest on my list as mentioned earlier is Porcupine Tree's - The Incident. Saying its good considering its 2009 is not an acceptable excuse, its not like music is fading away and there arent any good albums coming out. For Porcupine Tree's standards, its quite sad, and summed up pretty well by a member above. It is very pretentious, and Steven Wilson really needs to get down from his high chair and go back to what made his other albums great. His solo effort Insurgentes was also very dissapointing for me.

Dream Theater's album was again a let down. Its come to a point where its almost tough to sit through their songs. Bad lyrics, familiar riffs, same old song structures, its all too familiar and for a band that falls under "progressive" music, they havent progressed at all.

A few other dissapointments for me

Riverside - Anno Domino
Muse - The Resistance
Lamb of God - Wrath
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Isis - Wavering Radiant

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 40
Raekwon's Cuban II (doesnt hold a candle to the 1st)
Depeche Mode-Sounds of the Universe (meh)
PT-The Incident: very tedious listen-some good tracks.
Dredg-Pariah: good but forgettable
The Mars Volta-Octahedron: huge letdown
Mastodon-Crack the Skye: tedious as well
Method Man and Redman-BO2: fun but not great
Prodigy-Invaders Must Die: straight garbage

Lets see what Katatonia and Sade come up with (weird to mention those two in the same sentence)

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Air - Love 2. One or two OK tracks but the rest is so dull and uninspired. Certainly not the return to Moon Safari that's being marketed.

Really? I didn't think it was too bad. But when compared to Moon Safari, I would consider it a disappointment.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 40
How about GNR's Chinese Democracy?? Not exactly news anymore but still... a disappointment of the decade.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depeche Mode-Sounds of the Universe (meh)

Man, I can't, well actually I can believe I forgot all about that album; what a pitiful effort. That was a total cash in from the boys.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Thermals- Seems like they totally lost their edge.

or maybe they grew up a little. Being familiar with the music they were making before they were the thermals it seems like they dumbed it down a bit and called it the thermals. I just dont think you can keep doing that forever. If you can find the URBAN LEGENDS album that predated the Thermals you will know what I mean. Also check out Haleah and Kathy and Hutch. All that said, I like their new album and am glad that they took a different approach. 2009 y'all!

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or maybe they grew up a little. Being familiar with the music they were making before they were the thermals it seems like they dumbed it down a bit and called it the thermals. I just dont think you can keep doing that forever. If you can find the URBAN LEGENDS album that predated the Thermals you will know what I mean. Also check out Haleah and Kathy and Hutch. All that said, I like their new album and am glad that they took a different approach. 2009 y'all!

I think I agree with you that they did grow up a little on this album. And really, I hesitated calling this is a disappointment, because I knew their sound was going to have to evolve past their previous template. But for some reason it's just one of those bands where I just didn't want that to happen!

Anyway, I'm going to try and find those albums, I didn't know there was anything before the Thermals, so I'm excited to find some new material.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #29 of 40
I think you might be surprised when you hear it.

I think Sub Pop re-released the Hutch and Kathy album as well as Urban Legends so those ought to be easy to find.

My favorite release by them is called haleah. Wont be easy to track down that 7" but I found this with a little help from google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back