Disappointed with um1
Jul 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #32 of 40
My E2s just bit the dust today and are out of waranty. I had no real complaints with my E2s, but am considering some UM2s. Can anyone tell me how the bass on the E2 compares to the UM2? I've also read many compaints about hissing coming from the UM2s when used un-amped directly from an Ipod, any comments?

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #33 of 40
An interesting new update!

I recently just picked up my um1's which were lying around. Then i played a bit with the eq and found out that they sound a bit better with the eq. Still not perfect though but the sound is much more ok then initial.

Initially i just could not stand them but now they seem to be a lot better.

But tweaking the eq on the dap for um1 is a must. Without tweaking the eq it sounds congested and not at all like a $100 IEM.

But after playing around with the eq, it sounds much better.

Since I spent so much on it, I am trying to like the little suckers.

Will listen to it a bit more and post another update in some days.

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #34 of 40
What kind of music do you listen to?

I've had the ER6i, E4, and Super.fi 5 pros. Started with the ER6is and loved the sound. Then upgraded (IMO) to the SF5p. I listen to a lot of different types of music but the electronica, dance, and R&B stuff really sounds great. I will add that I listen to most if it on the go so am not in need of something with analytical qualties.

I was less pleased with the E4s but I think that was b/c of the music I listen to and the way I got there.

Bottom line, the music and listening situation is important factor.

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #35 of 40
What kind of music do you listen to?

I've had the ER6i, E4, and Super.fi 5 pros. Started with the ER6is and loved the sound. Then upgraded (IMO) to the SF5p. I listen to a lot of different types of music but the electronica, dance, and R&B stuff really sounds great. I will add that I listen to most if it on the go so am not in need of something with analytical qualties.

I was less pleased with the E4s but I think that was b/c of the music I listen to and the way I got there.

Bottom line, the music and listening situation is an important factor.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 40
my extensivly modified 75s have replaced my UM1scompletely except for cutting grass
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 40
I have a very wide taste in music.

But if I should pick out what I listen to the most then it would certainly be hard rock.

so which would be a better earphone for rock um1 or e4c?

Also just as a earphone would the e4c be good for rock?

I don't like the um1 mainly due to lack of clarity. also I am not a basshead. So what do you think?

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 40
Hey all, this is my first post here, though I have looked at the forums on occasion. Anyway, I, having already been down a very frustring path of Etymotic ER-6i (which I grew to dislike the sound of more and more), Sennheiser CX-300 (marginally acceptable, but still bad), Sennheiser PXC-300 (noise-cancelling - poor noise reduction and lousy sound quality - what a waste of money!), I had all but given up on an on-train listening set of headphones, but finally I decided to try once more, this time with Westone UM2's. I've had them several weeks now.

At first I was somewhat thrilled, just because they didn't seem to sound bad, but with time I'm finding them just as unsatisfying as every other non-open-air set of headphones I've ever tried, especially in-ear-canal phones. The sound quality is absolutely deplorable in comparison to even my "lowly" Sennheiser PX-100 headphones. In the end all the in-ear-canal phones have ended up sounding "dead". Kind of liking listening to music through a pillow. I do have a good seal. I've read up on and experimented greatly with seal. Seal is not the problem.

Except... today I plugged them into the headphone port of my MacBook and played music via iTunes (with EQ off, "Sound Enhancer" off) and, and I'm hoping I'm not imagining it, they actually did seem to sound really good! It was like the pillow had been cast aside. Am I imagining this? I'm hoping not, and hoping that perhaps the problem is that, in spite of the allegedly adequate sensitivity of the UM2's, my iPod (video) isn't actually capable of driving them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a PA2V2 amp will do the trick. I put in my order today and can't wait for it to arrive. I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of having to carry an amp around, but if it can finally make it enjoyable to listen to music while on the train, it will definitely be worth it. I'll try to report back once I get my amp and can test it out. If it's a failure I give up - I can't afford to buy anything else in this so far quite infuriating quest for even mediocre sound quality!

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchewy
Am I imagining this? I'm hoping not, and hoping that perhaps the problem is that, in spite of the allegedly adequate sensitivity of the UM2's, my iPod (video) isn't actually capable of driving them.

My UM1s sound a lot better amped than the do directly out of the iPod. There was a post a couple weeks back from one of the Westone guys saying that wasn't a surprise:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...09&postcount=8

Now I just need a portable amp with a lower gain... *sigh*

Ant

Aug 3, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #40 of 40
Hmmm.... Has anyone ever compared UM1 to Panasonic RP-HJE70? I've listened to both and found them identical.. Oh, and both of them are similar in pricing. What do you guys think???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back