Disappointed with UM1
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
As usual, I'm partial to ety's. But I would skip the ER-4p and go straight to the 4s. I prefer the sound (even unamped) to that of the 4p. Do note that ety's are extremely microphonic -- if microphonics bother you and you're planning on jogging, walking, speaking with your mouth, or moving your eyes a lot, then you will probably find ety's annoying.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Intersting. So the ER4s sounds better even with an ipod?
Moving my eyes a lot? Are you serious? Can you elaborate?
Okay, so you're joking...but how bad is it really?

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrydog

The cool thing about the 4P is that you can add the optional 4P-4S adapter later if you think you want more highs. With the 4S, you are stuck.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Moving my eyes a lot? Are you serious? Can you elaborate?
Okay, so you're joking...but how bad is it really?

Can't comment on how they sound out of an iPod. My iAudio U3's headphone out is powerful enough to easily drive the 4s, and overdrives the 4p. In fact, I've yet to find any source (portable, stationary, etc) that can drive the 4p with anything near black background. The sound signature is different between the 4p and 4s, I prefer the latter.

With regard to microphonics, I was only joking a little. Unless you're wearing a t-shirt (i.e. no collar), sitting perfectly still with the cords wrapped around your ears, you're going to hear some microphonics. Also, never try to wear ety's outside when it's windy, or while walking through a magnetic sensor (like in the doors of libraries). In my case, I'm willing to put up with the annoyance of microphonics for the reproduction accuracy that the 4s's afford. With that said, I know a lot of people that avoid ety's specifically because they can't stand the microphonics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The cool thing about the 4P is that you can add the optional 4P-4S adapter later if you think you want more highs. With the 4S, you are stuck.

True, but the 4p-4s cable costs $50, and I've never removed it from the chain since I got it. Like I said, I can't find anything that can drive the 4p silently enough for my tastes. I'll put up with microphonics, but background noise drives me crazy.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #20 of 40
"or while walking through a magnetic sensor (like in the doors of libraries)"

Wow, Angler -- I hadn't heard of that one.

Harrydog -- even with "just" the Er-6i's, you'll probably get the kind of detail you like (and you seem prepared to spend more
evil_smiley.gif
). And I've come to appreciate that there is some bass there, even in my less-bassy ER-6's -- just not like a subbed-out car at a stoplight. I don't know whether you could consider them compatible with the Sennheiser sound, though ... from what I've read, anyway -- I have just the 201's, so I wouldn't even consider them for comparison purposes. And I haven't heard the ER4's.

I guess the issue for you is which IEM is supposed to approximate the Sennheiser sound, would that be right?

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
The tips of the Westone play a very important role...

I completely agree with this. My brother has the UM1 with no complaints, but is also satisfied with the sound that comes from his laptop sound holes. My friend has the UM2 with both the stock tips and what *I believe* are UE double flange tips (could have been something else). The stocks had a better seal but a bit of a veiled and even muddy sound. I muuuch prefered the double flanges. Totally different sound--more vibrant and clear with better highs.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, mostly classic rock, and sometimes jazz, blues and classical.

To give you an idea of the sound I like, my home speakers are Celestion SL700s that I've had since the early '90s. Most of you may not have ever heard of them. They're small bookshelf speakers with incredible detail and soundstaging. They're almost holographic. They have great highs, mids and upper bass but very rolled off a little below 40hz. These were expensive speakers back then, but well worth it and I still love them.

So, that's the kind of sound I prefer and the UM1s just sound muddy and dull in comparison. I probably would have gone for the Etys right off the bat but so many people don't like them for their lack of bass that I was concerned that I wouldn't like them either. Now I'm thinking that's probably not the case.

I am familiar with the Celestion SL700s. If I remember, they have a unique box structure- honeycomb, or something, rather than MDF. More memorable was what they sounded like- fast and clean. I also hold a fast transient response as a priority.

The UM-1s have a nice balanced sound (from what I’ve read), which attributes to their large and loyal following. Some, however, have remarked about the high freq roll off you mention. Your experience with your home speaker/stereo set-up probably made this more obvious than to most. Your home set-up, of course, also factors in to your preferences for phones. It should be noted that how well the tips fit your ear canals can have a remarkable effect on the sound and may explain why we see such varied responses to all IEMs. I would take the other suggestions regarding different tips into serious consideration before looking for a repalcement.

The Etys, and their clone, the Altec iM716, are known for their fast transient attack and detailed, but not etched, highs. Not unlike the Celestions. Although some say the bass is deficient in the Ety/Altecs, my experience (iM716) is that it is likely deeper and faster than what you are used to with the Celestions (although I’ve never heard the latter in a small room, where the bass might be reinforced).

My personal experience was that the iM716s were good right out of the box. Very fast, exciting transient response. But they sounded a little thin, almost sibilant, and ever so slightly canned or hollow. A balance definitely tilting towards the treble. After about a week of burn-in they fleshed out nicely adding weight and dimension to the mids on down, and a yielding a more refined top end. I would venture to guess the Etys are the same. (Note: This was with the foamies, not the tri-flanges- again tips can make or break) Nonetheless, they are not bootylicious phones by any means. This too is probably not unlike the Celestions.

From what you described, I think either Etys or Altecs might be worth a consideration if you are still not satisfied after trying differnet tips.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Harrydog -- even with "just" the Er-6i's, you'll probably get the kind of detail you like (and you seem prepared to spend more
evil_smiley.gif
). And I've come to appreciate that there is some bass there, even in my less-bassy ER-6's -- just not like a subbed-out car at a stoplight. I

Sorry.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
rolleyes.gif
The er6i HAS NO BASS at all, nor any low mid range or real treble. Just over bright upper mids.

That's one of the most ignorant statements I've read in quite a while.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #26 of 40
Regarding tips-

FYI- there is an exciting (at least to me) thread concerning DIY foam tips entitled "Make Your Own Shure and UM2 Foamies!"

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=shure+foamies

Unless you buy the blanks (ear plugs) in bulk of about 50 or more, it will not be cost effective. It does, however, offer the opportunity to inexpensively compare several types of plugs with your own personal ear canal / earphone combination. Blanks can be purchased in single pairs for such experimentation, with the possibility of bulk purchases after you see which you prefer. Plus, it’s fun. Assuming you like that sort of DIY thing.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've read in quite a while.
rolleyes.gif

At least with both the stock tips.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #28 of 40
Actually many others have had the same disappointing response to the ER6is as The D. It's your experience, share it.

But what seems obvious are the differences in these phones and personal taste. The Koss phones have a large diameter diaphragm and easily handle bass, whereas the designers need to tweak out the highs. The minute ER6i diaphragm exceeds at the highs and here the compromises are in the lows.

So, is bigger really better? All depends on where you’re coming from and what you’re looking for.

eggosmile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
So, is bigger really better?

Usually. But on head-fi, more expensive is always better.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back