Disappointed with Truthear Hexa - looking for alternatives under £200 (~$250)
Jul 3, 2023 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Modified Bear

New Head-Fier
TL;DR Truthear Hexas have nice detail but are a bit light and airy. What's a <£200 alternative with the same level of detail but a fuller overall sound?

Hi, I've been happily using Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 in-ears for a good few years but they're reaching the end of their life and I'm looking to replace them.

I ordered some Truthear Hexas which arrived today. After getting used to the fit I was pleasantly surprised by how much more separated and detailed they made my music sound, I was able to pick out features I'd never even noticed before in some of my favourite tracks, however I felt the bass was lacking. While I enjoy hearing intricacies it sometimes reduced tracks to all intricacy and no body. From a cursory search it seems like this is an issue that others also have with these.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives under £200 with a fuller sound but with a similar level of separation/detail? If that's not possible then please suggest how to compromise.

I'll post a few tracks so you get an idea of what I'm listening to. I'll also say what I liked/didn't like about how the Hexas performed with them:

Charles Mingus - Track A (Solo Dancer) - Jazz/Big Band

The double bass is really hamstrung when I listen to this on the Hexas, I can pick out the plucks but the rest of the sound is so quiet I can barely tell what note he's playing. The cymbals are a touch too loud as well. On the whole the track sounds tinny compared to the momentums.

Diveo & ABSRDST - We're Beautiful - Bubblegum Bass

I love being able to hear the little production details all over this song and I think the sub-bass is actually at a pretty good level but the volume noticeable drops off when moving into higher bass tones. E.g. the bass guitar part at around 1:42 is pretty quiet.

JPEGMAFIA - Real Nega - Weird Hip-Hop

The drums lack punch and sound almost like bongos, the bass is very quiet. I'm not asking for it to overpower the whole track but it should at least fatten it up a bit.

Nic Jones - Planxty Davis - Folk (solo acoustic guitar)

Again, generally too biased towards higher frequencies. I can hardly make out the lower strings, even in a totally silent room.

General preferences:

Connectors compatible with third party cables (unlike the Sennheiser ie200)

Good isolation as I will be using them out and about mostly

Jul 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello! Very nicely written post! I think putting what exactly is the ask on the first line is a great practice :)

I do not have a IEM recommendation for you but just wanted to bring your attention to ear tips and seal. I do hate piercing highs in in-ear headphones as well but I don't mind Hexa. If you haven't already done so, can you give them a try with the foam tips? Because I suspect lack of bass + piercing highs to be a symptom of leakage and I suspect once sealed better, you might actually like Hexa better.

Jul 4, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately the stock foam tips seem
Hello! Very nicely written post! I think putting what exactly is the ask on the first line is a great practice :)

I do not have a IEM recommendation for you but just wanted to bring your attention to ear tips and seal. I do hate piercing highs in in-ear headphones as well but I don't mind Hexa. If you haven't already done so, can you give them a try with the foam tips? Because I suspect lack of bass + piercing highs to be a symptom of leakage and I suspect once sealed better, you might actually like Hexa better.
Hi! Thanks, I wanted to be precise with my request.

The foam tips were actually the first ones I tried but I couldn't get a good seal. They would slip out if I moved my jaw or lay down (on the bench in the gym e.g.). The medium "egg shaped" tips seem like the best for me. I did just try the foam tips at my desk and I still have the same issues with the sound.

Another reference track:

Shackleton - The Branch Is Weak - UK Dubstep (sub-heavy)

The kicks at the start have a nice decay on them but when the drop comes in at 2:15 (almost a pure sub-bass sine wave) I'm not getting much out of it.

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Right. Well I still think there might be a seal issue and if you can find a way to solve that, e.g using suitable tips from other IEMs you own that you know seal well, or give SpinFit tips a try, I think your experience with Hexa might improve significantly.

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 6
I had the Hexxa and only liked them with the Sonicfoam tips which are very squishy and feel large until they compress if you hold them in five seconds. I really like the Truthear Zero blue for music better, and See Audio Yume is also better than the Hexxa just in my opinion.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Hey, give the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro a look they are closed-back headphones that offer a more pronounced bass response compared to the Truthear Hexas, providing a fuller sound. They have excellent detail retrieval and a spacious soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back