Disappointed in Etymotic ER6i, need suggestions
Apr 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Billhelm

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Etymotic ER6i in-ear monitors, and I'm disappointed. The mids and highs sound nice clear, and the bass as well sounds good, but there's simply not enough to it. I listen to a lot of metal and funk, and with the amount of bass these puts out the music lacks a certain...punch. Additionally, while comfortable and quite isolating, the tips are somewhat awkward to put in, more of a hassle than I'd like.

Basically, I'd like some suggestions for in-ear monitors that use the more traditional tips that don't require ear-lobe modulation to seal, and in-ear monitors that have better bass. I'm actually not too concerned with overall quality as I've realized I don't use them much, so I've been looking at the Sennheiser CX-300s. Is the bass on these better?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Price range? I've heard neither but the maximo im590 might suit your needs, or thinksound thunder(now called ts01) if you want even more bass. I've actually heard something similar to the thunder though and I think it works great for metal. I dunno too much about the better options for those genres in a low price range though. Hopefully someone can chime in. As a general rule of thumb, balanced armature IEMs are generally not your best choice if you want a good amount of bass impact, though there are the occasional exception. How long have you had the er6is though? You might get used to them.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez
How long have you had the er6is though? You might get used to them.

This also what i think.

What is your source? Maybe you might prefer the ER-4P if your source is decent enough. I love my ER-4P with a 2nd Gen Touch and lossless files but not so with a 2nd gen nano with 192 AAC as it seems to reveal the deficencies its HP output. On the other hand I am perfectly happy listening with the Nano and Er-6i. I must be on about my 10th pair or ER-6i. I have absolutely no desire to upgrade either the ER-4P or ER-6i. I did find the ER-4P a little over bassy at first.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Almost all of my music is V0, with the occasional 320 CBR. I don't know, I might get used to the ER6is, but every time I go back and listen to music on my PC with a good speaker setup, my affinity for bass is reaffirmed, and I"m not sure I'll ever be happy with the lack of bass I have with the ER6is. I've had mine since Christmas, but I haven't actually used them much because of the hassle of putting them in on the go and the lack of bass response.

The ER-4Ps are far out of my range. I plan on either selling these (In the post Christmas cleanup all accessories were lost, so they probably won't go for much) or trading them on these forums or elsewhere, so my price range is maybe $30-$50. The Thinksound TS01 and the Maximo iM-590s will be considered though, as well as the Sennheiser CX-300. I'll need to look for more opinions on all three,though.

Edit: I'd rather not go with an inline amp or anything for these, as selling/trading my ER6is is going to directly fund whatever I replace them with, sorry.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Man. don't look for other ety's they are all bass shy comcidering for you (especially with ipod). Try Denon - C754 on amazon (74$ THOUGH). Good deal for bass lovers, much better then Senns.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 13
I actually just went through this. I had both of these issues with my er6i as well. Right now actually I have them for sale in the sale section. Anyhow, I know it's a bit out of your budget but I got the RE0 and have been loving them so far. The bass is quite a bit better and they are much easier to get a good fit with. Also, they are compatible with Comply Foam Tips, T400 I think so fit shouldn't been too much of an issue. Basically, I find that the RE0 do a great job with pretty much everything, no real downside to them although microphonics is a bit high. However, this is still better than the microphonics I used to get on my er6i.

Hope this helps

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billhelm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased a pair of Etymotic ER6i in-ear monitors, and I'm disappointed. The mids and highs sound nice clear, and the bass as well sounds good, but there's simply not enough to it.

As that seems to be your main complaint...might I suggest a little EQing? All music once it leave the instrument is digitized after all.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leavenfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As that seems to be your main complaint...might I suggest a little EQing? All music once it leave the instrument is digitized after all.

There's no EQ on my Zune, and both complaints are equally important. I don't like the bass, but I wouldn't wear these either way because of the ergonomics.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billhelm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no EQ on my Zune...

Sorry to hear that, you didn't mention it in your original post. I would not buy any player without EQ being available as you are tied to your choice of headpones and some genres sound better with A,B or C phones while another might sound better with D or E. Good luck.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 13
I sold the Etymotic ER6is, and now have $50 at my disposal. So far, I've done some research and I've decided to try the Sony MX90s (I've had them before, actually, and liked them) and then do the clingfilm mod. Good plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back