Disappointed gamer
Aug 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #106 of 119
If you already have a Prelude, keep that and possibly add an externa section.  A S/Pdif DAC and amp if that is what you want.  This way you don't lose any features you might want for gaming but you have the higher quality sound from the DAC and amplificaiton from the can amp.  Just a suggestion.  

Edit, actually IIRC, the Prelude does not allow any effect to be sent over the S/Pdif.
I might be wrong about that. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #107 of 119

Quote:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177530

decent headset with built in DAC....   might be worth a try before dipping your toes in the external DAC / amp waters.

However If you want a good value and great performing amp then it would be good to consider the one I have martrix M-stage. I am very happy with mine and It will have no problem powering the DT880/600.  Buy off ebay from coolfungadget for £200.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

I suspect the HS-1100 would be no where as good as the DT880's.  To use the Matrix M-Stage, wouldn't you need a DAC as well?

Is there something similar to the Musiland Monitor 02, that uses USB but is higher end.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #109 of 119

Quote:
I would also suggest you avoid any typoe of USB headphones because there is no way to upgrade anything. 

I'm not talking about USB headphones, I'm talking about USB amp like the Musiland Monitor 2, I am set on getting the DT880 600.  The Musiland Monitor 02 has a lot of good feedback and it is mentioned it is better than the STX so I don't see why I would need to get a STX if there is another amp that is similar but is even better.   I don't like the Prelude at all.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #110 of 119

Quote:
I suspect the HS-1100 would be no where as good as the DT880's.  To use the Matrix M-Stage, wouldn't you need a DAC as well?

Is there something similar to the Musiland Monitor 02, that uses USB but is higher end.

Well of course the HS-1100 wont match the DT880 but you could try this with minimal invesment to see could meet your gaming needs and then look at tandem music set up arround the DT880s.

Alternative to the Musiland 02 ... there are plenty to choose from just look at the computer audio or dedi source sub forums for loads of options and opinions. Off the top of my head the DR DAC 2 or Nuforce Icon HDP DAC \ Amp combo both have several good reviews here worth checking out if you want a one box solutions but I have no  idea what the gaming \ positioning is like.

I'd still go for the STX and a dedicated amp to achieve great sounding music and gaming flexibility. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #111 of 119

Quote:
I'm not talking about USB headphones, I'm talking about USB amp like the Musiland Monitor 2, I am set on getting the DT880 600.  The Musiland Monitor 02 has a lot of good feedback and it is mentioned it is better than the STX so I don't see why I would need to get a STX if there is another amp that is similar but is even better.   I don't like the Prelude at all.

Well USB input DAC modules are different.  I thought you were refering to those cheap cans that plug in Via USB.  They are usually all junk and now way to upgrade them.
I would think for every person you find that suggest a Musiland 02 is better then a STX you have another suggesting the opposite.  I never suggested you go with a STX...I suggested that since you are a gamer, that you build a hybrid system comprise of both internals and extenal.  I am pretty sure the Prelude will not allow you to do that anyway.
Just to clarify, there are a few gamers aorudn that are using a gaming card for a S/pdif source to an external DAC/headamp.  This way you have all the features of the gaming card but the soudn quality if the external unit.
To note, I have also heard good feedback of the Musiland 02.  I prefer external units with multiple input options as it makes them more functional.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #112 of 119
interesting you don't care for the prelude.  i do have to admit the creative software is pretty ugly and fairly annoying.  i went from x-fi platinum to xonar essence stx and i miss cmss-3d.  the xonar has some nice options to play with dolby headphone to make it better than my mixamp was for positioning, but cmss-3d was far more accurate.

also remember the ad700's have angled drivers which would seem to mess with dolby or cmss-3d positioning.  the best postioning i have found so far was my x-fi platinum with the dt880's (i own 250ohm).  i would recommend changing headphones before the soundcard.  of course if you just can't stand the x-fi software, i suppose you could go asus as their software is more slick.

good luck in your search.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #113 of 119
I'm more or less in the same boat as you, i was also considering the Essence and the Musiland 02 (along with the Auzentech Forte and the Audinst dac/amp).

Just for you to know, most people who recommend the musiland over the essence limit their opinions to music and overall sound quality, but the Musiland does not bring Dolby Headphone (like the Essence), CMSS3D (like the Forte) or any other gaming routine. I may be wrong, but also, since it is an USB dac, you wont have the chance of fixing that in the future by adding a dedicated soundcard since you wont be able to connect the dac to the soundcard (again, i might be wrong in this one, i'm not sure if the double RCA-out in the back of the musiland is able to do that. In fact, i have my Pioneer bookshelf stereo system plugged to my pc with those cables and i use it as a perfectly capable amp).

About having "out-of-the-box" volume control, don't get complicated. My 10€ logitech keyboard has a wonderful volume control (wich in fact i use a lot more than the one in the Pioneer, wich increases volume but also noise). You don't need to waste 100€ in a dac/amp just to get volume control. There are also headphone extension cables with volume control on them (My old Sennheisers brought one, you could even modify the volume for the right and left channels separately).

I can't really help you with my findings since i'm stuck right now. I don't have the impression that the difference in audio quality is that big between the Musiland and the Essence (seems more like a matter of tastes than a real quality difference), but i don't really like the idea of the Musiland being USB (you can't "chain" future upgrades) and also not bringing any gaming routine. The Essence is repoted by most people to have a outstanding sound quality (that will do to me) and it brings Dolby Headphone. Btw it also has an onboard amplfiier.

I wonder if there is any (cheap) way to get CMSS3d working out of the Essence (by adding some hardware i presume). If thats the case, i think i would search no more and get that one. I find less feedback on the 2 dacs so i wont risk the money just based on (maybe biased) personal opinions.

* Oh, you can test Dolby Headphone in some sofware (like PowerDvd 10, or WinDvd for movies, and foobar2000 with some tweaking for music) and even plain youtube videos (look for Dolby Headphone test). I just can't find  any way to get any software to make it working on games without dedicated hardware (looks like a marketing limit to me). I wonder if the STX drivers could work without any Asus soundcard installed (at least to add DH in games, since i can already use it in movies and music).

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #114 of 119
"I wonder if there is any (cheap) way to get CMSS3d working out of the Essence (by adding some hardware i presume). If thats the case, i think i would search no more and get that one. I find less feedback on the 2 dacs so i wont risk the money just based on (maybe biased) personal opinions."

The creative Aurvana X-fi headphones have X-Fi CMSS-3D built in but are pricey. There is the creative Xmod which is cheap but I dont know how it good it would sound, technically I think you can just use with a headphone jack input. I would still get a Essence or a Xense over the musiland as the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter, Pro Logic II, Dolby Live and multiple DH modes is the no brainer for me.

I am happy with my DX and will upgrade to the Xense when its available without the PC350.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #115 of 119
Got the wrong Aurvanas (live!) then
tongue_smile.gif

Yup, I'm leaning more and more towards the Essence ST (no cmss3d and high price being the only drawbacks).

Anyways, i wonder  how the Essence and the Xense compare, no thread on that yet.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #117 of 119

Quote:
I'm more or less in the same boat as you, i was also considering the Essence and the Musiland 02 (along with the Auzentech Forte and the Audinst dac/amp).

Just for you to know, most people who recommend the musiland over the essence limit their opinions to music and overall sound quality, but the Musiland does not bring Dolby Headphone (like the Essence), CMSS3D (like the Forte) or any other gaming routine. I may be wrong, but also, since it is an USB dac, you wont have the chance of fixing that in the future by adding a dedicated soundcard since you wont be able to connect the dac to the soundcard (again, i might be wrong in this one, i'm not sure if the double RCA-out in the back of the musiland is able to do that. In fact, i have my Pioneer bookshelf stereo system plugged to my pc with those cables and i use it as a perfectly capable amp).

About having "out-of-the-box" volume control, don't get complicated. My 10€ logitech keyboard has a wonderful volume control (wich in fact i use a lot more than the one in the Pioneer, wich increases volume but also noise). You don't need to waste 100€ in a dac/amp just to get volume control. There are also headphone extension cables with volume control on them (My old Sennheisers brought one, you could even modify the volume for the right and left channels separately).

I can't really help you with my findings since i'm stuck right now. I don't have the impression that the difference in audio quality is that big between the Musiland and the Essence (seems more like a matter of tastes than a real quality difference), but i don't really like the idea of the Musiland being USB (you can't "chain" future upgrades) and also not bringing any gaming routine. The Essence is repoted by most people to have a outstanding sound quality (that will do to me) and it brings Dolby Headphone. Btw it also has an onboard amplfiier.

I wonder if there is any (cheap) way to get CMSS3d working out of the Essence (by adding some hardware i presume). If thats the case, i think i would search no more and get that one. I find less feedback on the 2 dacs so i wont risk the money just based on (maybe biased) personal opinions.

* Oh, you can test Dolby Headphone in some sofware (like PowerDvd 10, or WinDvd for movies, and foobar2000 with some tweaking for music) and even plain youtube videos (look for Dolby Headphone test). I just can't find  any way to get any software to make it working on games without dedicated hardware (looks like a marketing limit to me). I wonder if the STX drivers could work without any Asus soundcard installed (at least to add DH in games, since i can already use it in movies and music).

Good point about the flaws about the USB, but to be honest I see it as a disposable purchase.  If it is better than the STX (and cheaper), I could go that route (especially if it is strong enough to run the DT880 600 ohm) and when I want better I can start over.  The lack of DH would be a deal breaker though, since I won't have cmss-3D, I would want to have DH.   I wasn't all that impressed with CMSS-3D, it was good but no means as impressive as it is made out to be here.  I am really ready for a change.  I am getting rid of the AD700, and already got rid of the Prelude.

I still figuring out what I will do, but I really want the DT880 600 ohm, I am pretty sure that's where I want to be for cans.  I suspect the STX cannot drive them alone which leads me finding an amp solution.  I am currently reconsidering the Asus Essence cards but curious if I need to go the STX or if the DX is ok.  I don't mind spending money on the STX if I get something for it, but in the past all I knew was Creative Labs for sound cards, and I can't say they ever impressed me since they lost their quality ages ago.  That's why I basically switched to USB gaming headsets and said forget it with sound cards.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #118 of 119
I ended up going back to a G35, they sent me one for free and provided me a refund as well.  I did not like the Prelude w/ AD700 and I couldn't get a good solution for amp for the DT880 600 ohm.

I would still like to run something better than the G35, especially since it is very bassy but the Zalman mic was driving me crazy, having to string it around my ear to get it near my mouth and still have really poor mic quality (almost unusable) and the AD700's are ok but they are very uncomfortable.

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #119 of 119
I went through this same thing and ended up with the Astro MixAmp. I mostly use it to get Dolby Headphone out of the Xbox I keep at my desk, but it did turn out to be useful for splitting audio across a few different things. For instance, despite the somewhat weak sound quality on the A40 Headset, it's still better than most other dedicated PC headsets and the versatility of the thing kind of makes up for the downsides, at least in my case. It means I can do 360 or PC gaming late at night and I have a nice easy way of balancing game audio with voice. The cables it came with also gave me a super easy way of getting audio from my PC to both my BX5a/Sub 2.1 setup and my headphones.

Unfortunately the Head-Fi bug bit recently, and now I have a Little Dot MKIII on the way. I'm sure it's going to be great fun trying to get that integrated into the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back