Disappointed from "Featured Full Reviews" section.
Jun 3, 2004 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
i've been reading a few reviews from our fellow head-fiers at the "full reviews" section.
i must say that i feel that reviews are entering this section too easy, IMO.
i don't intend to insult the effort of those who wrote some of these reviews, and thank you very much, of coarse.

i feel that a review which worth being in this section should be really informative about the sound and the perception of it (something that is really lacking there).
i want to see detailed description on how the headphones behaves, in regard of so many terms that we speak in these forums, yet are just not there.
i want to see defined lines when comparisons are made, yet it seems that very general comments are made, which doesn't really allows me to evaluate the product by itself or properly next to the other.
i think that a really good headphones review takes a lot of time and effort, and should be made in a somewhat academic level, no kiddin'.

this section is supposed to represent the best guidlines to understanding the products, and i don't feel i really understand what experience i should be expecting, or at least hope to expect
tongue.gif

hi-fi experiences are resolute and complex; so should be our best reviews.

Jun 3, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 104
I've also seen several reviews in the past that were pretty phenomenal that were not added to the featured reviews section. I'd like to see a lot more, but as Adam pointed out, they should definitely be extremely informative and encompassing.

Jun 3, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
I've also seen several reviews in the past that were pretty phenomenal that were not added to the featured reviews section.

i had a review that i actually find insulting that it didn't make it up there (not headphones). nice dose of demotivation to me... and maybe the writers of these reviews feels the same, and it keeps them of from writing more?

however, when plain reviews (not "full" reviews, as writen) goes up, it sets a lower standart.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 104
What I would like to see is an impressions category and a full blown review category. That way, more information can be more easily accessed.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 104
i think that impressions should just stay in the headphones forums. i meen, this is a headphones discussion, right?
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 104
I agree with you, some are just short and simple and really just not a help at all. However, I have started putting together a UE10 Pro review, and I plan on making it quite detailed and I am going to compare them directly to the CD3K's if I can beat my friend of with a stick for a week or so. (He has paid me for them but I told him I am going to write a review). My setups would include a Zen xtra, a marantz CDP and a Ray Samuels SR71 amp. Also I would do an indirect comparison of them with my rs-2’s and my HD650’s, both which I sold about two weeks ago. I am no experct like some of the people on this forum, however I feel that I could write an informative and detailed review. Would it be worth my time since I have very few posts? Or should I just slip into audio bliss and forget this website.
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf
i feel that a review which worth being in this section should be really informative about the sound and the perception of it (something that is really lacking there).

I agree with both of you, to a point.
Quote:

i want to see detailed description on how the headphones behaves, in regard of so many terms that we speak in these forums, yet are just not there.
i want to see defined lines when comparisons are made, yet it seems that very general comments are made, which doesn't really allows me to evaluate the product by itself or properly next to the other.

Here we totally agree. I like side by side comparisons, it gives a reference point.
Quote:

this section is supposed to represent the best guidlines to understanding the products, and i don't feel i really understand what experience i should be expecting, or at least hope to expect
tongue.gif

hi-fi experiences are resolute and complex; so should be our best reviews.

Here's the problem: Not everyone is starting with years of experience in this hobby. Not everyone has high end equipment. (Like me) We (all members of this board) get LOADS of questions from people with NO experience. Sometimes I think too much detail is gone into for these people. I know this isn't necessarily a place for casual listeners, but reviews for them also serve a purpose. And reviews FROM them can also serve a purpose.
I saw someone in another thread ask a newcomer for a review. He wanted to hear the newcomer's perspective. What HE thought as he went on this journey. That made an impression on me. I wanted to hear it, also. Not ad infinitum, but I thought a fresh, unjaded opinion would have been interesting, taken for what it's worth, mind you.
Now, should it be in the sticky reviews section? I guess maybe that's where it could be debated. Perhaps not.

I sure wouldn't want a moderators job! Let me just take a second to thank them for the wonderful job they do.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by PedigreeE
I am no experct like some of the people on this forum, however I feel that I could write an informative and detailed review. Would it be worth my time since I have very few posts?...
confused.gif

Oops, you got your post in while I was typing mine.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about!
I, for one, would like to hear about this very much.

And please don't Quote:

just slip into audio bliss and forget this website.

I believe ALL opinions are valid worth listening to.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 104
Quote:

i had a review that i actually find insulting that it didn't make it up there (not headphones). nice dose of demotivation to me... and maybe the writers of these reviews feels the same, and it keeps them of from writing more?

however, when plain reviews (not "full" reviews, as writen) goes up, it sets a lower standart.

Listen, man, nominate your review via PM then. If you did in the past, do it again -- I probably get more PM's and Head-Fi-related e-mails than any other Head-Fi'er, so it's hard as heck to keep up with all of them (typically, I just can't keep up with them all, so end up not being able to reply to many).

There's no exact science regarding what gets put up there and what doesn't -- squeaky wheels get the grease, and sometimes the first squeak is missed. You feel insulted? C'mon, with 1500+ posts per day coming in on most days, we can't keep up with everything.

I know sometimes people think this place is run by paid full-time staffers. I actually had someone write me an e-mail recently to suggest that I add more full-time staffers, as if we even have one. LOL. For those of you who do not know this, headphone hi-fi is a hobby for me, not an occupation, and the same goes for every single moderator on this board. We moderate when we can, which is why we have so many moderators, but, even then, not everything can be dealt with to the satisfaction of the 12,000+ registered members, not to mention the 2,000+ registered members who logged in just yesterday.

By the way, AdamZuf, thanks for the input (seriously). Now, if you have your own review you'd like to see up there, PM me and tell me about it, as I will admittedly not be using our currently-dodgy search function to look for it myself today.

Again, when it comes to nominating a bump into the full reviews sections: Squeaky wheel. Grease.

______

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 104
we need some kind of VBulletin control by which we can rate a review. If it receives enough ratings then it goes up automatically after getting tidied up by a volunteer (I would love to tidy up reviews, re-host the images etc.).

Just a suggestion...the ratings concept is a good idea IMHO.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Would it be worth my time since I have very few posts? Or should I just slip into audio bliss and forget this website.
confused.gif

of coarse not. you don't have to be very experienced with hi-fi to make a good review. just state were you stand; if you are not experienced, you should understand and accept that experienced people are reading new information and trying to make descisions. making a review is a responsibility.

however, if your musical understanding is reflected in your words, and you do a comparison between two products that shows care for the little details (or stand on the qualities of a unique product), i cannot see why it shouldn't be up there.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
we need some kind of VBulletin control by which we can rate a review. If it receives enough ratings then it goes up automatically after getting tidied up by a volunteer (I would love to tidy up reviews, re-host the images etc.).

Just a suggestion...the ratings concept is a good idea IMHO.

We encourage all members to write reviews when they can. It's one of the grooviest things about this community and others. You think AdamZuf feels insulted now because he has a review that he feels should be in the full reviews section but isn't? Imagine some cat just starting out with his first review, and it ranks a 1-star out of 4 or 5 (I can't remember off-hand how many stars vBulletin's highest rating is) -- talk about discouraging. No, I've seen reviewers evolve their styles here on Head-Fi over time, and I'm not currently comfortable with a review system. None of us writes these things for a living, and there's enough pressure, after having typed one up, to submit it for thousands of people to see.

______

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 104
Adam, answer as bluntly as possible. What do you think of the review I wrote (UE-10 Pro)? Did you find it at least somewhat interesting? Or it's a complete waste of your time?

I'm really curious to know your opinion, your honest hopinion. So, hit hard if you have to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 104
Jude,
thanks, but you bothered to write a lot of the wrong point. i mentioned my missed review just to add an example to the main point, which is the reviews that the moderators (with 1500+ posts per day) don't miss.

P.S. my review was made more then 6 months ago. so it's not fresh or anything. as i said, it was just an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back