disappointed by Sennheiser HD800, need advice
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #106 of 119

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe in theory, but in my experience and that of other headphone lovers, low impedance output works best. One guy also contacted Sennheiser on that topic and they stated, that they design for low ohmic sources. Also many top-notch amps are near 0 Ohm Z-Out and no one complains about them.

Have you checked your Senns or AKGs out on the same amp with different Z-Out?

My experience don't support this either, I've tried my HD800s with many low impedance output amps (Concerto, B22, MAD Ear+HD, Peachtree Nova, among others) and in the end, the OTL WA2 (with my upgraded tubes) is still my favourite.

Hero, Help me here.  I recently got a used pair of 800's (from a member here) that I really like.  I got a Cardas cable for them (just like I did years ago for my 600's) and I liked the 800's even more.  I listen to both the 800's and the 600's through my Earmax AE amp which (as I am sure you know) is OTL.  I need to get another amp to use in my study.  At the White Plains meet last year (my first meet
smily_headphones1.gif
) I listened to to WA2 with a pair of 800's and really liked it but, Woo Audio was not there so it was the only Woo Audio amp there.  At the recent meet at Bayside (Woo Audio was there) they did not have the WA2, but had a WA5 which was also really sweat with the 800's, but it is not OTL.  The gentleman from Woo Audio tells me about the WA5-LE that will save me money if I only need a headphone amp and I am now debating the 5-LE or the 2.  In your (and anyone else on this thread) opinion is the magic the OTL design or the tubes? 

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #107 of 119

Hero, Help me here.  I recently got a used pair of 800's (from a member here) that I really like.  I got a Cardas cable for them (just like I did years ago for my 600's) and I liked the 800's even more.  I listen to both the 800's and the 600's through my Earmax AE amp which (as I am sure you know) is OTL.  I need to get another amp to use in my study.  At the White Plains meet last year (my first meet
smily_headphones1.gif
) I listened to to WA2 with a pair of 800's and really liked it but, Woo Audio was not there so it was the only Woo Audio amp there.  At the recent meet at Bayside (Woo Audio was there) they did not have the WA2, but had a WA5 which was also really sweat with the 800's, but it is not OTL.  The gentleman from Woo Audio tells me about the WA5-LE that will save me money if I only need a headphone amp and I am now debating the 5-LE or the 2.  In your (and anyone else on this thread) opinion is the magic the OTL design or the tubes? 

Sorry I haven't heard the WA5LE, but if you can snag one --> they do look very impressive (but 2.5X the price of the WA2).

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #108 of 119
I think you either love HD800's or hate them, My fiancee has HD800's and a A1 amp and i think they sound amazing.. But he still prefers his Gardo PS1000S so i don't know, I love sennheiser sound i guess you either love or hate them.

Nat. 
atsmile.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #109 of 119
But the HD800 is like the black sheep of the Senn family, in my opinion. It doesn't have the Sennheiser house sound at all. It sounds more like an AKG than a Senn in my book. I still feel the pinnacle of Sennheiser is the HD650. But then, I am biased towards the HD650 kind of sound signature.

I also prefer the HD650 to the PS1000, incidentally. Call me crazy and all.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #110 of 119
But the HD800 is like the black sheep of the Senn family, in my opinion. It doesn't have the Sennheiser house sound at all. It sounds more like an AKG than a Senn in my book. I still feel the pinnacle of Sennheiser is the HD650. But then, I am biased towards the HD650 kind of sound signature.

Have you heard the HD600s? To me the HD800s were their successor. As much as I love the LCD-2s, the HD650s were not my cup of tea. I preferred the HD600s to them by a good margin.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #111 of 119

Quote:

I prefer sticking my fingers in my ears to the PS1000. 

The HD650 is the exception to the Senn sound. The 650 has a REALLY different sound compared to other headphones. 

Totally agree with others that the 800's are an upgraded 600/580

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #112 of 119

Quote:
[size=medium]Hey guys,[/size]

[size=medium]So before I jump right in, I thought I would give you a little bit of background information on the situation, I'm not an audiophile by any mean, I'm coming from the home theater scene and I have what I'd like to think is a pretty high-end system. [/size]

[size=medium]Anyway few weeks ago my wife became tired of his man-child husband squatting the living room swearing at 15yo teenagers on Xbox live, watching movies involving gore, boobs or both and listening to music she doesn't understand… so she finally gave me the green light to use the guest room as my office (read man-cave).[/size]

[size=medium]So I got myself a 3D TV, moved the PS3/Xbox 360, media center/HTPC and made myself a pretty neat second system. The second step would involve audio but since I knew I wouldn't be able to get the same quality of sound with speakers due to room size and budget (I have a 5.1 system made of B&W series 8 as a main system) so I quickly started looking into a headphone solution.[/size]

[size=medium]Long story short I ended buying the Headzone Home HT from beyerdynamic, which is a 5.1 decoder and a pair of DT880 headphone with headtracking, also while I was at it I also got myself the Beyerdynamic amplifier A1 for music.[/size]

[size=medium]So I started using this system and was surprised to see how good it sounded, so the geek in me immediately wanted to know how to make it better which introduced me to Head-fi. [/size]

[size=medium]I did my share reading of reviews, forums and all that jazz to try to find out what was the headphone Nirvana, it became quickly evident that there wasn't many contestant and it was always the same name/model that were coming up, basically the T1, LCD-2, HD800, some Denon and Ultrasone. I continued looking those and finally made my mind on getting a pair of HD800.[/size]

[size=medium]I bought them from Head-fi, so the burn-in was done properly by previous user, just to get that out of the way. So I receive them and immediately was disappointed by the sound, usually there's always what I like to call the "honeymoon" period where everything is amazing and great with all electronics I bought but in that case I can say I didn't liked them from the very beginning.[/size]

[size=medium]I can clearly hear a difference between the DT880 and the HD800, the Sennheiser have much more details and are far more revealing, they have what I would like to call a crispness the DT880 lack, also the soundstage is much wider, when I listen to the beyerdynamic I know I'm listening to music on headphones but with the HD800 it can almost fool me from time to time, but one thing I really hate (yes hate) is the tonal balance on the HD800, I find them to be way too bright, like almost painfully bright if that makes any sense.[/size]

[size=medium]I noticed that If I increase the volume, the sound starts to balance itself and the high are not as dominant as they are at lower volume, but I'm talking about a volume where I can't listen to them comfortably, if I go back to the DT880 I can hear they are inferior but the sound is immediacy less aggressive to my hear and almost more enjoyable I must admit.[/size]

[size=medium]One thing I was thinking about was that maybe the amp is not the right one, but the beyerdynamic is usually know to be quite neutral, so I'm not exactly sure what to do, I know I will be able to sell them back here with almost no loss, so that's not the problem but on the other hand I don't to miss a great pair of headphone just because I misuse them.[/size]

[size=medium]So anyone had a similar experience, any advice?[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks a lot[/size]

This caught my attention instantly. Not an audiophile, gets HD800, and is... disappointed??

But yes I understand some find the HD800 too bright, though it's fine for me. I would definitely go for the T1, HE500, or LCD-2 (if you prefer laid back sound) in that case. If you really like the DT880, the T1 should do it for you.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #114 of 119

Quote:
Hello mans and girls,
I want grab SENHHEISER HD 800, but hate it cose it's not portable. Can some one give me advice about some same quality portable healphones?

sorry for bad english..

Edition 8 or T5p are your only real options for high end portable cans AFAIK. I have both, prefer the ED8 by far. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #116 of 119

Quote:

I prefer sticking my fingers in my ears to the PS1000. 

The HD650 is the exception to the Senn sound. The 650 has a REALLY different sound compared to other headphones. 

Totally agree with others that the 800's are an upgraded 600/580

The PS1000 was a big disappointment, the price tag in Norway is almost 4000 USD and they where not close to my T1. I also think that my K701 is a bit better than P1000.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #117 of 119
Quote:
But the HD800 is like the black sheep of the Senn family, in my opinion. It doesn't have the Sennheiser house sound at all. It sounds more like an AKG than a Senn in my book. 

Interesting, after the second time auditioning the HD800 it reminded me of my DF. I almost thought it was a less airy AKG. Even so I liked the HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back