Disappointed at Sony A728
Mar 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
I found non eq sound from A 728 is bored and livingness when comparing to my Iphone 1st gen. After tweating DAC/ EQ, the instrument separation from A728 is much better and clear, while bass and soundstage is good too, but the vocal become too sharp / too dull (depend on eq setting). Best word to descirbe the vocal is robotistic, like A729 exaggerate/deviate vocal by its own way. Sometimes I felt totally fatigue for just listening a few songs.

I love the vocal from iphone 1 st gen, even it is grainy, lack of detail and high is bit roll off against A728, it is still wamer and more full and balanced sound as it appears to me, However, instument and bass response is suck.

Any other recommendation for DAP, it may suit my taste. thx

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt that my S639 was similar

was ok sounding - and detailed, but sounded electric - a bit grainy sort of - didn't like the sound personally

Among a lot of ppls supporting Sony DAP headfier, glad to meet u having same opinion
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 14
I have few more things I like to ask, is any one upgrade from 1st gen iphone to 3g iphoine, found the vocal is more detailed and performance of instrument, even bass is better ?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, it's pretty drab without EQ. With EQ enabled, it was much better. I don't find the vocals synthetic sounding at all. Clear Bass is also enabled with mine (+2). With CB on, I find that vocals are full, smooth and quite natural sounding. Differences might be due to different ears (and phones) I guess.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 14
That is interesting. I used the monitor headphones that are supplied with the player for my A818 and was ecstatic (with and without EQ) the first that I heard my music from them (mostly metal/hard rock/instrumental). However, I have recently purchased a pair of X10s and they make my beloved A818 sound..very bad..

Even more interesting is the fact that the X10s sound fantastic with my ipod 5.5g (I don't use amp/LOD) and so much more balanced than with the 818. However, I have to say that, to my ears, the px100 sounded good with either players. Indeed, px100 sounds good with any of my players..wonderful little things those px100s..

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 14
it comes to dilemma that should i sell off A728. As recently I have urge to upgrade my earbud to IE8/ Tri fi 10 pro. Heard IE8 better not to tweat eq with A728, cos it make everything abnormal. Considering at my other choice Tri fi 10 pro is well known as its dry airy sound sig, I would feel it will make A728 becomes ice cold for me

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have few more things I like to ask, is any one upgrade from 1st gen iphone to 3g iphoine, found the vocal is more detailed and performance of instrument, even bass is better ?

the iphone 3G is IMO the best sounding DAP apple ever made; sounds great out of the HP output and also has a nice little line-out. sounds far superior to the 1G. performance is natural and clear, no bass-rolloff with low imp IEM's nice seperation and quite detailed. only DAP I like better is lineout of ipod 5.5G modded

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the iphone 3G is IMO the best sounding DAP apple ever made; sounds great out of the HP output and also has a nice little line-out. sounds far superior to the 1G. performance is natural and clear, no bass-rolloff with low imp IEM's nice seperation and quite detailed. only DAP I like better is lineout of ipod 5.5G modded

Sounds great for iphone 3G, I could be very happy with iphone 2g
o2smile.gif
if I never get A728 and knew how much difference for performance of instrument.

Cowon D2 is supposted to be my choice before I have a glance for its non eq quaility. Afraid of getting another A728. Too bad for my wallet for being an Audiophile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back