Disabling volume control on a Stax Energiser
Feb 2, 2006 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I posted previously about how to add remote volume to my Stax energiser, to enable volume control from the other side of the room (I have multiple seating positions, and will be getting / making an extension cable). I have not found a satisfactory solution.

My proposed solution is, rather than connect my DAC directly to the energiser, to run it to my preamp, then the variable line outs of that into my energiser, thus allowing remote volume control via the preamp.

The only thing nagging me about this is having 2 volume controls in circuit. Should this concern me? If it's easy to do, I'm prepared to snip and solder inside my energiser to disable the volume control. Can anyone advise whether this is sensible or not and if it is, how I'd go about doing it?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Which energiser do you have? The SRM-717 has a switch inside to bypass the volume control.

Simon

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 8
You can just cut the wires at the pot and solder them together. You can even upgrade the rca jacks and the wire while you’re at it since the stock stuff is pretty crappy. I did it on my SRM-T1 and it made a big difference

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
You can just cut the wires at the pot and solder them together.

In fact I took a punt and tried that. However...I had a minor panic, because when I tested it, although there was "humming" through the phones, there was no music. I've put it back as it was and now it's all OK again.

What could I have done wrong?

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks.

There are two rows of three wires on the pot. Each row has a black, red and clear cable. I simply removed them from the pot, and joined the corresponding colours. Was this the right thing to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back