Dirty Three (AUS) Appreciation Thread
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sub

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody listen to Melbourne band the Dirty Three? Just listening to "The Last Time" & "Everything's screwed". Sounds incredible with the humble Sony D66SL and retro minidisc player on SP.

I wonder how it will sound with the DT880 on its way to me......

Any recommendation on their most definitive album? I know that they used (and probably still) play with Nick Cave.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 4
I really like Ocean Songs and She Has No Strings Apollo.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sub
Anybody listen to Melbourne band the Dirty Three? Just listening to "The Last Time" & "Everything's screwed".

Yep, they seem to be pretty popular around here. Probably meant to say "The Last Night" & "Everything's Fucked" if you were listening to that first album.
Quote:

Any recommendation on their most definitive album? I know that they used (and probably still) play with Nick Cave.

I tend to agree with Dusty that Ocean Songs may be the best. Or at least my favorite. In fact, one of my favorite albums ever. Great Steve Albini recording too. I have it on vinyl which really does justice to that cool cover art, but I heard there's a new limited ed. CD version that comes with a live DVD from a Melbourne show too. Might be in the UK only and might be gone by now ... http://www.bellaunion.com/news.php?n...51013143658530 . But I also love Whatever You Love You Are. And I love the collaboration with Low that we've talked about some around here. And I love Cat Power's Moon Pix with the Dirty Two (minus Warren Ellis). BTW, I don't think the Dirty Three plays too often with Nick Cave, although Ellis has been a member of his Bad Seeds for a few albums now. There are a couple live songs floating around though by NC and the Dirty Three. One was the hidden track "0" on the X-Files CD and is called "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum" (Dread the Passage of Jesus, For He Will Not Return) which is a new version of Dirty Three's "Better Go Home Now", with a NC spoken word performance. Its about 6 minutes long and followed by a Dirty Three version of the X-Files TV theme. Cool stuff. Makes me want to hear a whole concert or studio album by them. And I read they did do a special show together last year in London performing Ocean Songs in its entirety. Woulda loved to see that. Pretty rare for Cave to sit in as a guest with other artists.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Actually had a chance to see them live a couple times and they can make the ears bleed! Quite amazing, though... just loud.

Regarding Nick Cave, "The Proposition" soundtrack was just released which is a collaboration between Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Both the sountrack and the movie are excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back