Dirty Little Secret of Headphones
Jun 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #32 of 48
I remember switching DT880 and DT770 pads when I first purchased the latter and getting 100% different sound from either headphone. Big revelation. That was 2006 or so. Today, with such wealth of pads and tips, I think it is common knowledge. Probably was back then, too.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #34 of 48
Well, when I got the srh940 I realized they are quite sensitive to positioning. I think the problem is that the drivers are too close to ear. Playing with position helps to recover some bass, and tame piercing highs.

Later I've modded the headphone by increasing depth or ear cup, I found them more satisfying after that.

Also, I've seen a thread discussion, how positioning of ear cup in hd800 are affecting the sound.
But I 've heard the hd800, they are much less sensitive to positioning.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Who owns a HD700's and take it apart? so we can confirm this. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HD700 thread has a pic posted showing the driver through the grille behind the ear cushion.  Its not a full view, but its enough to see it looks a heck of a lot like 598, 600, 650, right down to the nautilus crennelation swirl and the stamp on the dome.  Obviously its made/tuned differently and presumably a new process, but the core foundation of it is the same old 15 year old driver :)  If it aint broke......charge double! :wink:

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:
The HD700 thread has a pic posted showing the driver through the grille behind the ear cushion.  Its not a full view, but its enough to see it looks a heck of a lot like 598, 600, 650, right down to the nautilus crennelation swirl and the stamp on the dome.  Obviously its made/tuned differently and presumably a new process, but the core foundation of it is the same old 15 year old driver :)  If it aint broke......charge double! :wink:

But  I thought , sennheiser introduced with the hd700, a new patent that improves the air flow , and bla bla bla ? (1000$ for the marketing blurb).
At least with the hd800, you are not too much ripped off , with their special "ring driver".

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:
But  I thought , sennheiser introduced with the hd700, a new patent that improves the air flow , and bla bla bla ? (1000$ for the marketing blurb).
At least with the hd800, you are not too much ripped off , with their special "ring driver".

Oh it does....looks to me like the silver damping screen now makes up the outside instead of a mesh on top of it  That no doubt improves airflow :p  In fairness I' sure the manufacturing process allows a thinner driver or more prescise contours on it, or new magnet tec.  And it is angle mounted.  But I still find it funny that it's essentially an HD675 for 2x the money.  The base platform is the same age-old tried & true design, touted as soomething worth far more than that has ever been worth.

At least with HD800 you're actually getting a unique driver design as a prototype.  Itt's still a ripooff, but you get something to show for it....

The real dirty little secret is that we hit near the cap of quality reprouction a decade ago.  Anything beyond that is little tweaks to try to fix the fringe issus for exhorbitant amounts of money.  At least not without new recording technology to go with it (spatialized multi-channel mastering to go with multiple drivers like a 5.1 mix but not as artificial) at least.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #39 of 48
Reading this makes me feel like not going for the HD700/800 and just get a grado/alesandro if i want to get my ears pierced with treble. But then there's the soundstage issue to contend with.. ahh decisions decisions... 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:
Reading this makes me feel like not going for the HD700/800 and just get a grado/alesandro if i want to get my ears pierced with treble. But then there's the soundstage issue to contend with.. ahh decisions decisions... 
evil_smiley.gif

The hd800 doesn't have piercing treble. They have an emphasis on treble (let's say by 5db , on the 5k, 10k region) , but it remains smooth.
It is annoying with some genre like rock, pop, but this can easily be fixed with eq.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #41 of 48
I did demo the HD800 for a few hours, but i was left with a very mixed feeling. On one hand the detail retrieval from the treble right down to the bass is so clean and well defined. On the other hand i felt that i just didn't click with the sound signature of the HD800. Waiting impatiently to get a chance to listen to the HD700 as soon as it hits my country.. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:
I did demo the HD800 for a few hours, but i was left with a very mixed feeling. On one hand the detail retrieval from the treble right down to the bass is so clean and well defined. On the other hand i felt that i just didn't click with the sound signature of the HD800.

I agree, but what are you expecting ? I think the only true flaw on hd800, is that they are bright, after that, it's a matter of taste.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:
I did demo the HD800 for a few hours, but i was left with a very mixed feeling. On one hand the detail retrieval from the treble right down to the bass is so clean and well defined. On the other hand i felt that i just didn't click with the sound signature of the HD800. Waiting impatiently to get a chance to listen to the HD700 as soon as it hits my country.. 

I assume you tried it at Jaben?

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:
I assume you tried it at Jaben?

Yeap, indeed. Great place to hang out!

Quote:
I agree, but what are you expecting ? I think the only true flaw on hd800, is that they are bright, after that, it's a matter of taste.

Very true. Hoping to be able to make up my mind once and for all after i try out the HD700... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back