Dirty Little Secret of Headphones
Jun 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 48
Consider why all the $1k+ headphones (and some well below that like AT, Denon, AKG) are angling the drivers, angling the earpads, and remember one of the significant differences between HD600 and HD650 was the driver distance in the housing.  And consider why many like Denon try to coax you by force into where you put your ear in the cup (with the front-shifted ovoid hole in the pads in the case of Denon.)

Because the R10 did it and despite decades of Apple marketing, Sony still defines any genre it gets into? Oh, you meant a less-historically rooted consideration...yeah, the whole bit about it improving positioning and staging also works until you consider a couple of wildcards like the K701.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:
Because the R10 did it and despite decades of Apple marketing, Sony still defines any genre it gets into? Oh, you meant a less-historically rooted consideration...yeah, the whole bit about it improving positioning and staging also works until you consider a couple of wildcards like the K701.

LOL.  The K701 has angled pads and the ergonomics encourage the ear to be at the REAR of the massive cup, meaning the projected wave is coming from in front of the ear.   K701 is another brilliant example of how to ruin the sound by placing the cup wrong.  Put your ear at the front edge and the sound goes messy. 

All that said, while angled drivers or angled pads can improve staging, especially the staging DEPTH, not so much the width, primarily because of the fact that the earlobe is the baffle that determines directionality for the ear, so a front-facing angle means the soundwave hits the ear from more or less the direction that speakers would.  AD700 makes great use of that and is the sole thing that maintains any thread of interest in my mind in HD800 despite the brutal treble. 

Anyway, it's not so much staging I was referring to so much as the sound itself...the frequency distribution.  The pad & distance is effectively the room treatment for speakers after all. Too close and too direct an angle and it's essentially an IEM with a big fluffy pad.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 48
Still waiting for the "dirty little secrets".

Like, where does Tyll get all those awesome shirts? :D

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:
Still waiting for the "dirty little secrets".
Like, where does Tyll get all those awesome shirts?
biggrin.gif

The dirty little secret is that HD700 is a modified HD600 for double the price? :p   That driver looks awfully familiar....

Quote:
Try this one perhaps:
http://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Lauren-Paisley-Hampton-Shirt/dp/B007XUWMOW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338575834&sr=8-3

atsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

The dirty little secret is that HD700 is a modified HD600 for double the price? :p   That driver looks awfully familiar....

atsmile.gif

Who owns a HD700's and take it apart? so we can confirm this. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:
How much of that difference is actually audible or noticeable? I haven't heard any changes due to burn and I'm pretty posistive if I spent an insane amount of money recabling my headphones I wouldn't hear any difference either. Whether there is an actual difference or not is a different story. Moving the headphones and earpads around would be the same.

No. Movin the headphones around and squishing the ear pads would not be the same as changing the cabling or burn-in. This is actually easily audible. Simply push the earphones closer to your ears and listen to the affect it has on the sound.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:
Yeah, this is pretty well understood. Tyll's measurements show the raw data for multiple placements to illustrate the point, and to evaluate how placement sensitive a given pair of cans are (some are less picky than others). There's also the "tips and tricks" section of Meier's website that gets into this. And finally, Ultrasone's S-LOGIC is based on this principle taken to extreme levels.

Can you post a link to Tyll's measurements of multiple placements? I couldn't find it on google. thanks.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:
Can you post a link to Tyll's measurements of multiple placements? I couldn't find it on google. thanks.

Look at all the lower gray traces on the FR curves here.  They're averaged for the red/blue L/R upper traces.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #30 of 48
I have small hears,so the big Grado pads on my GS-PS-1000 have a lot of ''play'',so i have to place them just right,to get the best sound possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back