Dirty airwaves kill sound, but good cables can fix this.
Nov 2, 2002 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Dirty airwaves have deleterious effects on sound!

I was doing experiments with positioning attempting to find the noisiest environment possible. I placed my amp right beside my monitor and attaced a 25 foot Radioshack IC between it and my player. WOW...hum galor. It was so bad at low volumes I had to stop listening. As I moved my amp around the room, I could detect where the interference was the worst (directly beside my monitor) and where it was the best (actually not the furthest point from monitor and computers). I had targetted the best position in the room for my setup, now I wanted to fix the hum. I borrowed some cables and to my delight, discovered that in fact, IC's with better shielding would limit the hum. The cardas neutral refs did the best job of the cables on hand. I actually had my amp on the monitor for this experiment, and it was virtually silent, save for the music.

I'm a cable believer, if only to take away the ****tiness in my air space.

Nov 2, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes, that is due to the shielding. No one argues over that.

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, but as I need air and exist in an airspace, I meant this environment I live in. If I lived in a vaccuum, I'd still have these cables so I could avoid the RF
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back