Directional SPeaker Cable
Apr 29, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
cables have no direction.

Correct me if I am wrong, for IC, if you connect the shield to the ground, the IC becomes directional. Does this also apply to speaker wires?

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Cables can be directional in that their outer shielding is connected to the ground terminal at only one end, which should then be connected to the source rather than the destination to avoid the transmission of electrical interference.

This is irrelevant in speaker and headphone cabling as there is no shielding necessary - there are no active electronics stages at the destination, so there is nothing that can possibly pick up electrical interference

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 12
On top of what TheSloth said about a lack of amplification, speaker cables typically have an 8ohm impednace. Interferance rises with load impednace which makes amps much more suseptable (I don't use shielding though and don't have a problem).

Don't buy into manufacturer's crap that cables are directional because of the way the cable is drawn from the melted copper or silver or similar BS. Audio signal is AC so even if a cable were directional in some twisted sense due to this plugging it in backwards would have no audible effect at all.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the info folks. I am not going to worry about it then.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back