Direct upgrade from DT880
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have vintage DT880 as my primary headphones driven by CEntrance DACport HD on desktop. My DT880 has several thousand hours of burn-in and extensive use over the many years so it is time to try something new! I don't want to use this forever haha. I tried some wireless headphones like Bowers & Wilkins P7, but wired has much better bang for the buck. I don't think I can replace wired headphones with wireless anytime soon..

I wanted to try something different now without going through the roof on budget (around $200-225).

I listen to mostly... rock, pop, classical and hip-hop in that order from most to least. I'm not a basshead so won't lose sleep if it is more or less bassy than the DT880 - hopefully bass doesn't overpower all the other frequencies. I also do some gaming so comfort is important.

I like the 1980s DT880 a lot, but I do think it is time to try something more contemporary. For anyone familiar with vintage DT880 and newest DT880 version, is the difference worth buying a newer model of DT880?

My budget pretty much eliminates the most obvious recommended upgrade choices of HD650/HD800 or even Tesla T1. I guess I could look for used if enough folks lean strongly one way or another. There is Akg k702, but from what I understand, it would be a downgrade from DT880.

Thanks!

edit: I just realized I put this thread in wrong location rather than Recommendations section. If any admin reads this, can you please move it?? My bad :eek:

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 4
A direct upgrade to the DT XX0 series would be the Fostex TH-X00 from massdrop. It just does everything the DT does just much much better. As a result, the bass is more and bigger too. 
At $225, you'll get mostly sidegrades rather than a true upgrade. You can try Fidelio X2 or maybe a Audio Technica M50x

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 4
A direct upgrade to the DT XX0 series would be the Fostex TH-X00 from massdrop. It just does everything the DT does just much much better. As a result, the bass is more and bigger too. 
At $225, you'll get mostly sidegrades rather than a true upgrade. You can try Fidelio X2 or maybe a Audio Technica M50x

I keep forgetting the DT880s were not always $180 as they are now. What if I was doing a sideways move but with a slightly different sound taste? Basically, what is on the level of DT880 for low-$200s in sound quality? Would you put Fidelio X2 up there?

I guess the 880s 600ohms are the Mercedes of headphones and rather than moving up to the Aston Martins or Lamborghinis (Fostex), I want to try the Lexuses and BMWs. What are the Lexuses and BMWs of headphones? :p

I just want to try something different - not that I don't like the DT880s, but I don't want to use DT880 forever as my main everyday set. I'm willing to consider both new and used. What do you think I might be able to find used for under $225 that would be an upgrade of sorts? I have very good amp that can drive pretty much anything.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 4
I keep forgetting the DT880s were not always $180 as they are now. What if I was doing a sideways move but with a slightly different sound taste? Basically, what is on the level of DT880 for low-$200s in sound quality? Would you put Fidelio X2 up there?

I guess the 880s 600ohms are the Mercedes of headphones and rather than moving up to the Aston Martins or Lamborghinis (Fostex), I want to try the Lexuses and BMWs. What are the Lexuses and BMWs of headphones?
tongue.gif

I just want to try something different - not that I don't like the DT880s, but I don't want to use DT880 forever as my main everyday set. I'm willing to consider both new and used. What do you think I might be able to find used for under $225 that would be an upgrade of sorts? I have very good amp that can drive pretty much anything.

The HP50 and Mt220 get a lot of buzz on the price to performance and they seem to be at an all time low. But I havn't added them yet myself, as i felt they would just be sidegrade to what i have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back