Direct sound bypasses my DAC?
Dec 14, 2014 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chee006

100+ Head-Fier
My current DAC is a Aune X1 Pro DAC which could play up to 24/96khz through USB, However my build-in PC sound card can play up to 24bit/192khz. The problem is that I have just found out when I am using direct sound on foo2k for my DAC it can play 192khz when it should not be able to. But when I change to ASIO it says it can't play 192khz which is what my DAC iss suppose to do.

This made me think if the sound on my Windows8.1 when using direct sound would still somehow go though my PC sound card but still uses my DAC somehow since there is no difference in sound quality when switching from ASIO to Direct Sound for my DAC.

Hope you guys can figure this out, thanks! 

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Directsound will resample so that it still plays regardless of sample rate/bit depth. It will resample to whatever you have selected in Windows Playback devices audio options. See the following link for a screenshot of those options - link. Not possible for the sound to be rerouted from one DAC to the other.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 3

As you can see I have already selected my SPDIF for my DAC and made it my default one, I have also selected the highest bit whcih my DAC supports (as u can see there is no 192khz support in my drop down menu.)

Yet after all of this I am still able to to play to 192khz or are u saying that in direct sound windows will resample anything to the highest bit my DAC supports but will still display 24/192khz on foobar when it actually is'nt?

If that is the case then I am not sure why it can't do the same when I play 384khz PCM, however it does say "Unrecoverable playback error: The parameter is incorrect.   (0x80070057)" Instead of the usual "Unsupported format" error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back