Direct Drive Turntables vs Belt Driven! Sound Quality.
Jul 5, 2003 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PlumpDJ

New Head-Fier
Hello friendly peoples,

I'm quite new to all of this and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me regarding the quality of sound produced by modern direct drive turntables (Technics 1200s/1210s for example..) vs modern belt driven turntables.

Now for DJ-ing purposes you cannot go past a direct drive turntable (so I gather) but if pure 'audiophile' quality sound is all you desire (no mixing, just listening..) then which turntable(s) are the go? Is the sound quality from belt driven turntables (like the Linn Sondeck as I'm told) really that much better then direct drive turntables as my father passionatly suggests?

Your opinions are most welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, direct drive turntables can also sound surprisingly good, but only at a higher cost compared to belt driven players, which have the principle advantage of better decoupling the platter and arm/cartridge from motor rumble... But if you need a more versatile and sturdy kind of table, a Technics SL-12x0 series table with a good cartridge like the AT120E is quite a good choice. Over here, Technics recently introduced the most recent incarnations in two versions: SL-12x0MK5E and SL-12x0M5GE (x=1 for dark, x=0 for silver version) - the latter one is more expensive, has a bit more features and better internal cabling. Audio magazine over here has already reviewed it fairly favourably and rated it in the range of entry level audiophile belt driven tables like the Planar 2000... It's really a pity, though, that Technics doesn't seem to sell their high-end direct-drive turntables for radio stations anymore - these were impressive beasts in both build and sound quality.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Lini,

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend any websites or magazines which are good for finding out about the sound quality of turntables? (specifically direct drives like the Technics..)

I was going to buy a pair of Technics 12x10MK5s (the black ones) for about 1900 Aussie dollars (not sure what that is in Euros..) but the guy did mention the 1210MK5-G which are quite a bit more expensive. ($2400 aussie for the pair)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back