dire straits remastered
Nov 19, 2003 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
i have just listened to my remastered copy of "communiqué" and am blissfully happy with its quality. two questions:

1. are the other dire straits remasters as good as this one?

2. if i buy at amazon, do i get the remastered versions or the older ones? (it doesn't show and they have suspiciously low prices at least on amazon.de)

time to ditch those self-made vinyl-to-cdr-copies into the bin and replace them with some solid rock
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Became aware of and replaced my favorite original Dire Straits CDs with remasters about three months ago.

1. I replaced Dire Straits, Communique, Making Movies, Love Over Gold, Brothers in Arms, and On Every Street. These were my favorites and the ones I listen to the most. Sound quality on the earlier releases was improved more on the remasters than sound quality on the later releases (surprise, surprise!). All remasters had meaningful improvements in sound quality. No buyers' remorse.

2. I got my remasters from www.alldirect.com in the U.S; much better price. When you get your search results there for "Dire Straits", they also list the dates of the individual editions' releases. Between that and price, it was easy to pick out the remasters.

My only disappointment was that the new remasters were not released in HDCD like the greatest hits Sultans of Swing.

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, they all sound great. Doesn't Amazon usually list release date? These were released in 2000.

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 8
I got Making Movies, On Every Street, and Dire Straits remasters from BMG. All sound fabulous -- much nicer than my old scratchy second-hand LPs.

--Chris

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 8
thanks a lot, old pa, markl & hemp

now i know that i want to have them - BUT

amazon.com has the 2000 releases and announces them correctly as remastered.

but the european amazon.co.uk shows mid-nineties release dates and amazon.de (where i meant to shop) still shows the original release dates (80s).
frown.gif

so either i'm screwed and the remasters are US only - or the european amazon sites don't regularly update the information.

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 8
update - seems it's not me who's screwed but amazon.de's release dates.

making movies is listed as remastered (the others are NOT) but the rease date is 83... go figure

Nov 19, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 8
The ones amazon list have to be the remastered versions. I haven't seen the originals in stores here for at least 5 years or so and the should be sold out (many times over) by now.
The prices are no indication about this either, I've seen them advertised down to ~7 EUR each in stores here, but I would imagines sales figures being quite low by now, so no real surprise there
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 8
thanks nisbeth for giving me the green light
smily_headphones1.gif

edited: and thanks to bob ludwig - those remasters are simply amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back