Dire Straits - Best Album?
Jun 27, 2003 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

pumpkin77

100+ Head-Fier
I am going back to my roots, what is the best Dire Straits album, just got another cd of Brother in Arms as my cd collection was stolen. Thought some die hard fans could tell me... Thanks.
280smile.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by pumpkin77
I am going back to my roots, what is the best Dire Straits album, just got another cd of Brother in Arms as my cd collection was stolen. Thought some die hard fans could tell me... Thanks.
280smile.gif

They're all good, even the maligned 'Communique'.

Jun 27, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 39
I'm partial to the self-titled first album...although there are many other good ones.

Jun 27, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 39
I agree. "Communique" is a great album. Title album is also wonderful! Humm. Do I see a greatest hits package in your future? To digress slightly. I saw the original band play two sets at a really small club in S.F. in support of the release of the first album. It was one of the most memorable shows I have ever seen. Knoffler was on fire and the songs and both sets of course were awsome. They did "Lady Writer" (released later on "Communique") and they absolutely killed it. I am lucky to have board tapes of those gigs somwhere in "the vaults". They went on of course to be huge, and were sadly written off in the hipper than thou later 90's. But early on, they were the bomb. Those early albums (since re-mastered) mentioned above, along with "Making Movies" are all safe bets.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 39
Yeah the greatest hits cd sounds very good with and its HDCD to boot!

Jun 27, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 39
I know a place that has quite a few used. I plan to get most if not all as the money rolls in. What do you recommend to get in order of these titles, also soem say they are from analog tapes and the flaws in the recorded might be heard, so i stay away from those and get the remastered versions that are digital? :

alchemy
on every street
love over gold
live at the bbc

Jun 27, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 39
Brothers in Arms and their self-titled album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 39
No such thing as a bad Dire Straits album. My favorite one though, is Love Over Gold. Check out Mark Knopfler's latest work, A Ragpicker's Dream...this is unbelievable...I love this guy!

Jun 27, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 39
I have to agree with OP, "making movies" best single album by Dire Straits......even though it has an obvious weak track in "les boys" the remaining tracks are rock solid. They have a swagger and rock harder on this album vs others.

Also the "sultans of swing" greatest hits has demonstration class sound, I would be hard pressed to name rock recording that sounds better than this!

Jun 27, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 39
Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits recording.

I too really like the single work Mark has done in recent years.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Making Movies is my favorite Dire Straits recording.

I too really like the single work Mark has done in recent years.

Have you had a chance to listen to his "A Shot at Glory" soundtrack? Very good. I also really enjoy Sailing to Philadelphia, especially the title track with James Taylor. Knopfler is one of those behind the scenes kind of guy, like John Hiatt. ****, I have friends who don't even know who these two people are, or what they do. I guess, its good, because folks like these stick to their roots, and refuse the mainstream ********. Knopfler knows how to evolve, and put out good music, so I guess that is why he is on of my all-time favorite artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back