Dire Straights - Private Investigations (Best of)
Mar 6, 2007 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lipidicman

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else heard 'Private Investigations'?

I just returned my copy. Ten minutes on my 580 and a casual comparison to my 'Brothers in Arms' Remaster revealed this to be a LOT louder. 580s should not sound upfront and harsh!. Looking at the files in audacity there is heavy compression and clipping. Why remaster songs that were remastered in 1996 and sound fine? 'So Far Away' loses all of its dynamic range and is hard 'in your face' loud the whole way through. What is Bob Ludwig up to?

For anyone who like this compilation I can assure you the 90s remasters are better. I would also be interested for opinions on the original CD versions

If there is interest I will find the screenshots I took

Edit I meant Straits

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I think this would be another good way to help rid the loudness crap.
If it is extremely loud and clipped, return it saying the sound is distorted and so the CD is bad or defective.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 6
many cd retailers in the uk will not accept refunds (hmv, virgin). i wonder if you can get a refund based on the fact that the product is of poor (audio) quality? or rather i wonder what your rights are in regards to the audio quality of the cd.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Since the intended quality is unfortunately the way it is, thats why i say just be the consumer complaining that the sound is distorted so the disk must be bad.

If you argue it has been compressed and clipped, well that was done on purpose so you won't win that arguement trying to return it for that reason.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Sometimes retailers will not give refunds for open items. Return the item as defective and get a new one. Then return another day to return the unopened replacement. You should get your money back, or at least credit for something else.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
many cd retailers in the uk will not accept refunds (hmv, virgin). i wonder if you can get a refund based on the fact that the product is of poor (audio) quality? or rather i wonder what your rights are in regards to the audio quality of the cd.

You should not have a problem as the disc does not offer 'cd quality' and is in my book no 'as described'. However I rarely buy from HMV and Virgin due to their policies. This one was from Asda and they did not argue. I usually buy from Fopp these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the intended quality is unfortunately the way it is, thats why i say just be the consumer complaining that the sound is distorted so the disk must be bad.

If you argue it has been compressed and clipped, well that was done on purpose so you won't win that arguement trying to return it for that reason.

I would always go for the second. Tell them you are unhappy with the quality of the product. They cant really argue against this and they are left with the option of leaving you unhappy or doing something about it. If they wont, stand outside with a sign saying 'THIS SHOP DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTS THEY SELL OR KEEPING THEIR CUSTOMERS HAPPY'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back