DiO 2496 > ??? > HD600, digital or analog amp? Price Range < $400
Jan 26, 2005 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jimix

New Head-Fier
I am (more then likely) about to pick up an M-Audio Dio 2496 from another head-fier to replace the onboard sound on my computer. In the process, I figured it would be a good idea to upgrade my little CMoy to a real headphone amp. The DiO has both digital and analog out and I was wondering if it would be worth it in my price range to get an amp/dac that took digital in.

I've never really messed around with digital audio so I don't know if what I'm describing is even possible or worthwhile. I really just want to drop the $450 on a WA3 and be done with it, but just three weeks ago I thought spending the $200 on the HD600's was ridiculous so I have to slow down and put it all in perspective. It's amazing how much your financial priorities change when you start buying headphone gear
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Take a look at www.headamp.com. The Lite seems like it would fit the bill quite nicely. As it comes stock, it's a great sounding little amp. Down the road, you could get the PSU upgrade which will make a great sounding amp sound even better.

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimix
I think what I am going to do us run the dio > art DI/O > gilmore lite > hd600s, that should be a pretty awesome rig
smily_headphones1.gif

That will sound very good.
smily_headphones1.gif
The seperate power supply and small size of the lite make it the perfect physical fit for computer installations too.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimix
I am (more then likely) about to pick up an M-Audio Dio 2496 from another head-fier to replace the onboard sound on my computer. In the process, I figured it would be a good idea to upgrade my little CMoy to a real headphone amp. The DiO has both digital and analog out and I was wondering if it would be worth it in my price range to get an amp/dac that took digital in.

I'm not sure if there is a DAC / headphone amp combo in the price range. It seems to me that these start around $1k for the Benchmark DAC1 or used Grace 901, and move upward in price from there.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swiego
I'm not sure if there is a DAC / headphone amp combo in the price range. It seems to me that these start around $1k for the Benchmark DAC1 or used Grace 901, and move upward in price from there.

That answered my question exactly, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back