Diminishing returns in regard to sq
Apr 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
At what price point (for cans) does the additional money really not make much of a significant increase?  I know price =/= quality all the time, but in a general sense... where would you believe the threshold of spending to be?

I've recently been considering upgrading from my main hd598 to LCD2, but I want to be sure there will be a greatly observable sound quality increase.  My sequence of purchasing cans has gone from k540 > hd598 > sr125 > dt770/80

At this point, the 598 satisfies me more than any other, I know they have been sidesteps, but I wanted to try many different brands.  I am not a fan of modern AKG but I really like the signature of the 540s despite their many problems in clarity / resolution / sibilance / piercing treble.  They can produce a nice realistic timbre around the low mids / upper bass.  Nevertheless, none of these upgrades have been night and day other than going from earbuds to my k540s.  The hd598 took me a while to appreciate, and now they are clearly superior to the k540s, but they are just too laid back and airy for me.  I've heard the LCD-2s are very musical and forward.  In your opinion, is the sq jump definitely worth the price jump... if not where do you think diminishing returns really starts to take place?

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO around the 300-400 dollar region.  At that price you get a multitude of old flagships like DT880, HD600/650, K701, and others like HE-400 or D5000.  The list can go on.  Having heard the HD800, I'd say the quality increase when going from those said 300-400 dollar anchors to the new 1000 dollar behemoths is every bit of an incremental gain as going from something 100 dollars to 300-400 dollars.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 12
I normally view things in this manner: The flagship, or the top model for any audio brand, is the highest priced, and delivers the most returns financially. 
Specs wise, most of the times, the second best is not that far behind, but it costs significantly less.
So if I just want to get my money's worth, I'll say go for the second best. Usually its around 3-400 mark, as TMRaven says.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 12
So would you stay that going from ~200 cans like mine to midfi like 300-400 is money more well spent than a large jump? I'd like to try the he400, but I'd hate to wish later that I wouldve gone all out and went for the lcd2s. Plus if hd598 to he400 to lcd2 is too incrimental (my biggest worry), wouldn't I notice a more worth while jump going from 598 right to lcd2s?

I know these are pain in the ass questions, but I'd like to cure my upgraditis at least for a while in the headphone department. Right now I feel like I need bigger and better. I like my current cans, but I hate the limitations I hear in all of them. LCD2 sounds like the most perfectly musical can for me, I like natural, rich sound that doesnt feel too airy. I've heard the hd650 is very lush, but I'm worried that won't satisfy my desires for as long as I'd like haha. I guess we've all been through it...

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 12
How do you know what you have is better if there's nothing to compare against? And secondly, choice and this longing to find something better is the essence of being a technology lover.
I'd suggest go for the biggest change for the money (close to the border of diminishing returns, ~3-400) . Later on you'll appreciate your upgrades more.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 12
That's definitely true, about constant looking for upgrades. I'm just kinda at an impass bc I could go for he400 and save money, then possibly wish I had went on for the audez'es, or get the lcds and possible not be overwhelmed then wish I has saved money. haha kind of a catch 22, I had a feeling people would say 3/400 mark would be the point... I'll have to see if I can find someone with them so I can listen to them. No Boston stores have any real headphone section. There is a place with Grado, Senn, and Stax... Maybe I'll try to convince them to stock Audeze lol.

Anyway thanks for e help. I'll just have to work this out for myself.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 12
For a trial?  Audez'e's (two apostrophes
blink.gif
) 30 day return policy has a 15% "screw you" fee, understandable for a small high end company, but still $150 is a large price to pay for a trial (not to mention shipping), that's why I wish they were sold elsewhere e.g. Amazon.

I have a feeling I'd keep them if I got them... I just want to make sure they're the right choice.  Nothing since my first set of cans has been such an eyeopening difference, and now I'm spoiled by my current sound and still want better! I probably will just buy them, but I'd rather wait until I had the extra money on hand to do it, rather than getting them and eating TV dinners for a month.  I might go ahead and get them early if they are stopping production of that beautiful wooden box.  Not like the box matters that much, but it certainly looks the part for the price point.  I read somewhere they were going to stop offering it though, and that actually might make me want to buy sooner rather than later and miss out.  Anyone else hear of this?  Sorry to start straying from the actual sound quality discussion >.<

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
For a trial?  Audez'e's (two apostrophes
blink.gif
) 30 day return policy has a 15% "screw you" fee, understandable for a small high end company, but still $150 is a large price to pay for a trial (not to mention shipping), that's why I wish they were sold elsewhere e.g. Amazon.

I have a feeling I'd keep them if I got them... I just want to make sure they're the right choice.  Nothing since my first set of cans has been such an eyeopening difference, and now I'm spoiled by my current sound and still want better! I probably will just buy them, but I'd rather wait until I had the extra money on hand to do it, rather than getting them and eating TV dinners for a month.  I might go ahead and get them early if they are stopping production of that beautiful wooden box.  Not like the box matters that much, but it certainly looks the part for the price point.  I read somewhere they were going to stop offering it though, and that actually might make me want to buy sooner rather than later and miss out.  Anyone else hear of this?  Sorry to start straying from the actual sound quality discussion >.<

Oops my bad. I hate typing on the phone. Get them from Headroom. They have a 30 day return policy without a 15% restocking fee. Well, as long as they come back in the condition they were sent in.

I heard the same about the box. Pity because it does look quite beautiful, although the carry case is superior in terms of practicality. I'd rather get both, to be honest. Nothing like plopping luxurious headphones in a luxurious case to feel like you've spent your money well.

I bought HE-500's because I heard they were great value. My friend bought LCD-2's on my suggestion. I thought they would be around the same level of quality or techical ability. Turns out the LCD-2's absolutely demolished the HE-500's. There was no comparison for me, my sound engineering friend or my partner. Everyone preferred the LCD-2's. HE-500's do have a nice ability to extend and exhibit nice bass but in my opinion is just doesn't sound natural. Sounds great, but doesn't feel real. LCD-2 take me to the stage or the recording studio. Everyday I regret not getting the LCD-2's instead. They're the only phones to date which get me tapping my foot and closing my eyes with a smile. Of course, I'm hoping the Spiral Ear 5-way Reference or LCD-3's can have a similar effect but I've yet to experience that (LCD-3's I heard were veiled and thoroughly underwhelming).

If you share my ears and sonic preference, I would say 100% LCD-2's. But everyone's hearing is different, everyone's preferences are different. I suggest the Headroom trial, or organise a mini-meet wherever you are. Maybe a hi-fi store around you stocks them? They're popular enough now.

Whatever you end up going with, I hope it brings you closer to the music and gets rid of some of those worries and upgrade tendencies.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't really looked into buying them yet so I didn't know headroom stocked them... unfortunately HR ships them with the travel case.  The wooden box is extra and different apparently (http://www.headphone.com/accessories/carrying-cases/audeze-wood-box-for-lcd-2--lcd-3.php).  All this fuss over a BOX!  I think I'll order from Audez'e if it makes the difference since they don't offer the original wooden box separately.  Also these are for passionate home listening, I won't move them enough to merit the traveling case.

If I do decide to get them now, I guess I'll go through Audez'e.  Also their site doesn't have a waiting list apparently?  Or does it pop up after ordering ("oh btw these will take a while to make please allow 2 - 3 years..." lol)?  Not that I'm that impatient, but if I get the original box / less of a wait then why not
rolleyes.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't really looked into buying them yet so I didn't know headroom stocked them... unfortunately HR ships them with the travel case.  The wooden box is extra and different apparently (http://www.headphone.com/accessories/carrying-cases/audeze-wood-box-for-lcd-2--lcd-3.php).  All this fuss over a BOX!  I think I'll order from Audez'e if it makes the difference since they don't offer the original wooden box separately.  Also these are for passionate home listening, I won't move them enough to merit the traveling case.

If I do decide to get them now, I guess I'll go through Audez'e.  Also their site doesn't have a waiting list apparently?  Or does it pop up after ordering ("oh btw these will take a while to make please allow 2 - 3 years..." lol)?  Not that I'm that impatient, but if I get the original box / less of a wait then why not
rolleyes.gif

To be safe, I'd still go with headroom. Email them. They may work something out to get the box for you. Remember you have to find out if you like them first. Don't take my opinions too seriously because they're only mine.

To my knowledge, Audeze shouldn't have a waiting list for LCD-2's. They should have plenty in stock, I'm guessing, since it's their best seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back