DiMarzio M-Path or Tara RSC Reference?
Apr 29, 2004 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tbuddha

New Head-Fier
I previously posted a different thread about trying to improve the bass response in my office rig. Sony DVP-S7700--->X-Can v3--->Senn HD 650. I have decided that my old interconnects were somewhat to blame for the loss of bass.

Nevertheless, I have decided to replace the source because I think that’s also part of the problem, and it is just not as good as I want, generally. I picked up a Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player on ebay, and will be sending it to SACDMods tomorrow for modification.

Here is my dilemma. I am currently evaluating two interconnect cables. I have a set of DiMarzio M-Paths on 30-day approval from Headroom. I also have a pair of Tara Labs RSC Reference interconnects on short loan from my local dealer. The Tara pair is about $100 more expensive.

Here is what I think I am hearing comparing them in my current setup. The DiMarzio ICs sound smoother (rolled off at the top?), and with maybe a just a tiny bit more bass extension. The Tara ICs sound a little "faster" and more "accurate", and maybe just a little more "lively", which translates as a somewhat sharper sound sometimes at the higher frequencies. They are a just a little "harsh" with some material.

If I were keeping my current rig, there is no question I would go for the DiMarzios. However, I'm thinking that maybe the SACDmods will smooth out the Redbook signal, and certainly provide a superior SACD signal, to the extent that whatever sharpness I hear with the Tara cables would disappear, leaving only a more pure and accurate sound. I just got off the phone with Matthew Anker of SACDmods, and he thinks this may be logical, but he has no experience with either of these two interconnects. I have to make a decision which to keep within the next few days.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 4
I had the DiMarzio M-PATH ICs and I found that they were impressionistic. They sound very smooth, fairly well detailed, and warm as heck. They are not the last word in accuracy. With your new SACDMods SONY SCD-222ES, I would think that its level of performance will be certainly competitive with other source components costing far more money. It really depends on your preferences. I would recommend that you burn in these ICs as fast as possible. That way, you'll be able to make a far more confident decision as to which one stays and which one goes. If I were you, then I'd stick with the DiMarzio M-PATH and save the extra $100 and put that toward something else. There is a reason why both TTV&HJ and HeadRoom carry their cables.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Hmm, well I use M-Paths and also an older version of Tara RSC non-reference (which are similar to the reference?). If I hear a difference, it is similar to what you say: M-paths smoother and more relaxed, Tara Labs tighter. Both of these cables are pretty to look at!

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, I fired up the Sony SCD-C222es side by side with the Sony DVP-S7700 just before I shipped the SACD player off for modification. Boy, the Allison Krauss "Live" hybrid SACD sure sounded great! And my interconnect experience with the SACD player was the same as yesterday with the DVD player. That is, the DiMarzio M-Path ICs just sound smoother than the Tara Labs ICs. So I took the advice, and saved myself the $100. Off went the SACD for mods, and back went the Taras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back