Dilemma
Sep 16, 2001 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

attnet

Head-Fier
I am planning to get a pair of phones today, but I can't decide what to get. Currently I am stuck between the Grado SR-60, Senn 495, or Sony V6, all for ~$70. I usually listen to Soundtracks, Classical, and Rock, and some other stuff. Which of these phones would be best for me? Or are there others that would be recommended? I would prefer open, but I don't really mind as long as they sound good. I already have the Koss Sporta Pros and Sony EX-70s, and am now looking to take my first step into the "audiophile world". Thanks a lot for your help.

I also have a CHA47 altoid amp so power won't be a problem.

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 32
attnet: the 495 is certainly better than the SR-60 - I'd think the SR80 is more comparable......

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 32
Coolvij, have you ever heard Grado headphones? I don't think it's ever fair to say that one headphone is "certainly better" than another when both headphones are so highly lauded.

Attnet, while many people are of the opinion that certain headphones are best-suited to specific kinds of music, I am not in that camp. In every genre (especially classical), each person looks for an enhancement of a different aspect of the sound. I think that without auditioning, it's difficult to tell which headphone would be best for you.

I have never heard the HD495 or the SR60 (or the SR80 for that matter), so I can't specifically tell you what would be best for you. I thought that the Sony MDR-7506 was a fine headphone but not comparable to the Grado RS-2 that I had at that time -- then again, the RS-2 is far out of your price range. So the only piece of advice I can give you with any confidence is that blanket statements are rarely accurate for all people in the world of audio, and that after auditioning, asking specific questions about the sound qualities of different headphones is the best way to determine what product is best for you.

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 32
alright, specific questions...basically, I want something that is fairly good in every/most characteristics (soundstage, detail, warmth, etc). I'm seriously considering the Senn 495 because I've heard that it gives the most neutral presentation. Thanks for your comments so far.

BTW, where would the best place to get them be? I know HeadRoom has them, but they are $80 there whereas i can get them for $60 elsewhere. Any suggestions on realiable, cheap vendors?

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 32
I have to reply to this...
smily_headphones1.gif

When I went shopping for headphones, I heard both the Senn 495 and the Grado 60 (and 80). I bought the grado SR60. Things might be different with an amp, but straight out of a "desktop" CD player, the grados sounded much better to me. The Senn had very nice mid-range, but I wasn't impressed by the rest. Bass was very dull, flat and muffled. On the grados, it had impact and power. The SR60 sounded clearer and more alive to me.

Now, I read many times that the Senn need an amp. Since you have an amp, they might be better for you. Headroom sure would like you to think so
wink.gif

Try to listen to them if you can. The Senn 495 were packaged where I went, but they opened them for me when I asked.

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 32
I own both the HD495s and SR-60s.

When it comes to solid bass they are both pretty even - none. However after owning 495s for a while then putting on my new sr60s, I was blown away by how much better they are. Now granted I mostly listen to rock, but it was a huge night and day difference nonetheless. I wont say the Senns are bad, because they aren't, for what they do, but they don't do rock. I prefer my 60s for almost everything now. I let my friends borrow them and they said they are the best headphones they've ever used. They do however have a very small soundstage, its more of an in-head experience. Senns are better for things like classical because thats what they do, and the larger soundstage helps the experience.

Although since the 60s are pretty weak in the lower end, I'd recommend going for the 80s if you can.

Sep 17, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DesBen
Now, I read many times that the Senn need an amp. Since you have an amp, they might be better for you. Headroom sure would like you to think so
wink.gif

People have said that, but they obviously didn't know first hand because thats not true. The 495s do not need an amp. A sound card powers them just fine, which means a portable probably will too. You just have to turn it up a bit. Its not a question of power anyway, its that they place the drivers so far away from your ears that it needs more power to make up for the distance.

Sep 17, 2001 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 32
lol - DanG: what I meant was, they SR60 and 495 aren't really competing with each other, at least in my opinon. I mean, I think you need an amp with a 495 - and HeadRoom says the SR80 need one too. More comparable, I should have said.

I MEANT something different........never mind.....

Sep 17, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 32
Okay... I think I know what you mean now, vij.
wink.gif
It's just it seemed a bit misleading when you said that the 495 is "certainly better than the SR60." But I think that after all these discussions of using different headphones for different purposes, all headphones do still compete directly with each other. I was once contemplating getting the AKG K1000 (and before that, the HD 600, and before that, the CD3000) to go with my Alessandro MS Pro, but realized that I would really only listen to one headphone almost all of the time. And especially in the case of someone with a tight budget, all headphones do directly compete with each other. After all, they're all fair game!

Sep 17, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 32
So what happens if I have a grado-optimized amp (CHA47) paired up with the SR-60? Now how does it compare to the Senn 495s or Sony V6s (with the same amp)?

vij, where did you buy your 495s?

And anybody have any experience with NAX? If I end up getting the Grados, that is where it will probably be.

Sep 17, 2001 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 32
I own the SR60 and V6 and have heard the 495s.

The 495s *do* need an amp -- if you don't use them with an amp, IMO you're wasting your money and should buy something else. They can be driven loud enough straight from a source, but you won't get anything close to their potential.

Out of these three phones, the V6 is the most "accurate" and has the flattest, most extended bass response. However, they can come off as very analytical, and they have the worst soundstage of the three. It can be easily driven directly from the source, but bass improves dramatically with a good amp.

The SR60 is much more "musical" than the V6 IMO -- better soundstage, a bit warmer. On the other hand it's much less accurate. It's got a big hump in the upper mid and treble. It also doesn't have much bass (lot's of upper bass, little bass). It can also be driven directly from a source.

The 495s struck me as being a bit warmer and more musical than either of the other two. They weren't as accurate as the V6 (maybe a good thing for everyday listening), but they sounded more natural than the SR60s. Bass was pretty dependent on the source -- directly out of a portable, it had the worst bass of the three, but when used with a decent amp, it was better than the SR60 (still not as extended as the V6).

The other thing to consider is that the V6 is closed.

Sep 17, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 32
I've used my 495s with my amp, and I still have to disagree with MacDEF. They sound nice for classical and such, but with anything else the SR60, let alone 80, whoops it. Of course, it is a matter of opinion, though. I guess there are two very opposite sides to this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back