Dilemma - to amp or not to amp
Feb 25, 2004 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Radiohead

New Head-Fier
Morning all

I'm running HD580's and usually connect them direct to the headphone jack on my Sony CDP-930 CD player. Now, the Sony is a £300 deck, and is about level in terms of quality with the rest of my kit. I run a Marantz SR7200 receiver for amplification.

Since the birth of the first Baby Radiohead last year I'm using the HD580's more, and my question is whether a budget headphone amp such as the Rega Ear will bring about worthwhile improvements? I am happy with the existing performance but will happily spend up to £150 if it's worth it. My musical tastes are wide and range from Tindersticks to Aesop Rock to Over the Rhine to Prefuse 73....

You're the experts, so what do you think?

Thanks in advance

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried the jack on your reciver? Some receiver jacks can be quite good, or at least better than the jacks on CD players.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Hmm... 150 pounds would come out to around US$300+? I think better in terms of US dollars.
biggrin.gif

I dunno. Part of the problem is that you seem to have a fairly good CDP. I can't be sure how good the headphone-amp section of your CDP is. As such a 150 pounds amp would still likely improve the sound, but whether you think its worth the money is another matter.

Never had the chance to audition the Rega Ear, so I can't say much about that amp.

Best way is to give the amps a listen and see if you like the improvement in sound quality enough to buy one.

How much does the Corda HA-1 MK2 cost over there? It might be in your price range. Plus the crossfeed might come in handy.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Hmm... 150 pounds would come out to around US$300+? I think better in terms of US dollars.
biggrin.gif

150 pounds is closer to $225-240

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 8
If you're not tube-averse and want to buy British, I would try to find a used Musical Fidelity X-CAN v2. Now that the v3 is out I bet you could find a good deal...I have a MF A324 DAC and have been having a wonderful time with it.

Anybody here heard the X-CAN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back