DILEMMA: PORTABLE: TRANSPORT + AMP/DAC or GOOD DAP
Jul 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

asintado08

New Head-Fier
I have a HD 650 right now that is connected directly to my computer's headphone out. I know that I need to purchase an amp and a DAC because the difference in sound is just too big. I will also purchase a CIEM, UM Miracles/V6 Stage. I need help in purchasing an AMP/DAC/DAP. I do have options here:

Purchase a good dap for the CIEM and purchase a bottlehead crack for the HD 650. 
 - Budget - 1000$ for the DAP. 
 - AK100 II or DX90. 

Purchase a high end portable DAC/AMP + transport (android phone) for the CIEM and HD 650. 
 - Budget - around 1200$
 - M8/Theorem

Questions: 

For the sound signature which is better, a AK100 II vs transport + M8/Theorem, when using CIEMs? 
How would you compare a high end portable DAC/AMP (M8/Theorem) vs a bottlehead crack when using HD 650? 

Thanks. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 3
I can't comment on the sound differences, but just to cover all bases:

1. Portability : Carrying around a smartphone+transport vs a phone and DAP aren't the same thing. They're both two separate devices, but if you'll be listening while on the move, you'd run into some problems. If you have a good DAP and a phone, you can listen to the DAP in one pocket and maybe put the smartphone into vibrate mode in another pocket. If you have a phone as a transport with a separate DAC-HPamp, the phone would have to be strapped onto the DAC-HPamp. That might not fit in a pocket, and might even be too thick for most laptop bags with a laptop already inside. You can hear calls coming in, but because these DAC-HPamps don't have a mic wire in the headphone out (and anywhere else up to the phone), you'd still have to whip out the phone with the DAC-HPamp strapped onto it and put it next to your mouth for the caller to hear you talking, which is a lot more work compared to taking off one IEM ear and whipping out just the phone.

If anything however the problem with some DAPs is that the digital outputs were designed to work with portable DAC-HPamps, and so are put on top of the player, so when you use them as a transport at home it isn't as neat as when you have a phone or tablet with its integrated port on the bottom, which cleans up the cables as you can set them upright on a dock and then the USB cable hooked up behind it. However with the kind of budget you can throw out now you can just get a dedicated music server later on.

I

2. Audio format compatibiity. If you plan on going high-res (debates on SQ gains aside) in the future, scratch the phone - they can't send high res audio through USB. Even if your music player app can read high res, it downsamples it to CD-quality so the DAC can read it. Even the Note 3 whose DAC works with high-res (but of course doesn't have the kind of amplification circuit as a DAP) can't send out high-res in native resolution through USB.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 3
  I can't comment on the sound differences, but just to cover all bases:

1. Portability

This is one of the things that I also consider since I will be using it during commute. I will go to a local meetup so that I could check on how big is the DAP/AMP combo and see if it will fit in my everyday bag. 

2. Audio format compatibiity. If you plan on going high-res (debates on SQ gains aside) in the future, scratch the phone - they can't send high res audio through USB. Even if your music player app can read high res, it downsamples it to CD-quality so the DAC can read it. Even the Note 3 whose DAC works with high-res (but of course doesn't have the kind of amplification circuit as a DAP) can't send out high-res in native resolution through USB.

I didn't know about the downsampling of the android devices. I really want to have a player that has a nice UI. I guess it is going to be a AK100 II or a Sony NWZ-ZX1. The problem with the Sony is it doesn't have a SD card slot. 

I only need to decide if I will get a BH crack for the HD 650 or get a nice portable amp and use it as a desktop amp. My possible setup right now is:

DAP + CIEM - portable
DAP + BH CRACK + HD 650 - home
high end portable AMP/DAC + HD 650 - home
desktop amp/DAC + HD 650 - home

I will go to a local audio store to audition the equipment. I do hope that they have headphones that I could use for audition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back