Dilemma: Keep HD 700 and purchase Woo Audio WA7 2nd Gen for it, or buy HD 800 S?
Sep 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,
so I'm in a little dilemma. Do I keep the HD 700 and purchase a Woo Audio WA7 fireflies for it (to get the tube sound and tame the sibilance) or just sell the HD 700 and go with the HD 800 S?

My thoughts on the HD 700.

I've been using them on a daily basis for 4-6 hours for almost 2 years.

Pros:
Great for movies, videos
Phenomenal bass. Quality bass, the best that I've heard from open cans. Sub-bass is present and in bass laden music or scenes these hold up and deliver. No distortion. Can go loud
Great for acoustic, vocal and easy listening music

Cons:
Can get very sibilant on trebly tracks (think punk, metal or rock music with lots of cymbals and multiple instruments just playing loud and all at once). Not pleasant nor enjoyable experience. Not ideal for this type of genre (which sucks cuz sometimes I just wanna rock).

So I guess the question is whether the Woo Audio tubes will resolve the sibilance or better to go with a new headphone for that much money? Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
id keep the hd700 and get the woo amp, it will transform your hd700. it will definitely tame the sharp treble and smooth out the signature. i would look at the wa2 or wa6se over the wa7 unless you really like that form factor/built in DAC. i had an hd800 in the past and recently picked up the hd700, it sounds really great w/ the woo wa2. in my short hours so far i feel the hd700 has a similar signature to hd800 and comes close especially being less than half the price. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the responses. So what are the differences between the WA2, WA6SE and WA7? Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Also are there any Black Friday specials possible on the Woo amps/dacs? Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 6
NM I see it now.
I forgot to mention the headphones are used with my PC. And thus either an optic fiber connection or DAC will be necessary. But I also want to be able to use the receiver that I have currently setup in case I want to listen through my speakers.

I am currently running an optic fiber from the sound card to my Sony Receiver. The headphones are plugged in the receiver. Plenty of power to drive them and clean sound. And if I want to listen through the speakers I just unplug the headphones.

Trying to see how the simplicity and ease of this switching between headphones and speakers can be replicated via dedicated headphone amps and DACs. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back