Dilemma between closed headphones! Please advise.
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
So I've decided from research that I either want the ATH-M50s or the ATH-A700s. However, for the life of my I can't decide between the two. I know there are a couple threads already comparing them, but they are pretty inconclusive and I would like some personalized advice.

The think the key things for me would be soundstage and bass...as I'm sure for a budding audiophile, any headphones around this price range will impress me with detail/transparency. I am somewhat of a basshead so it would definitely need to have a good presence in my headphones. But by no means do they need to be overpowering...just above average. Also I would like to hear the different layers of the music and would want a wide sound stage, as if the music was coming from speakers. I know this tends to be harder to achieve with closed-type headphones so bear with me. I listen to a variety of music, but mainly Hip Hop (Top 40 & Underground), Rock (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys), and Trance (Paul van Dyk, Chicane, Gabriel & Dresden), with some vocal music thrown in the mix (Norah Jones, etc).

I hope you guys can get an idea of what kind of headphones I might want from these specifics and can point me in a direction. Of course, alternatives for closed-type headphones are always welcome.
k701smile.gif
My budget is $160 MAXIMUM (eBay listings are okay), and they will be used with the Musiland SVDAC06 DAC/Headamp. Whew, I know that was a lot to read, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you considered the M-Audio Q40 as well? They have been compared many times to the M50s and the best one seems to be just a matter of preference. I can't comment on the M50s and A700s myself, but I can at least tell you that the Q40 are really good for electronic music as far as I'm concerned.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I have not heard the ATH-A700 but have the m50. Its a good can for a lot of the music type you have mentioned. Its got good bass and can be used amped or unamped. Female vocals (Norah Jones) also sound good on them. These cans however give you an upfront presentation ( in a good way) but will not give you the wide soundstage that you have seek. Its a more intimate presentation and one of the most preferred cans for its price range.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Soundstage and bass. Look no further and buy the Sony MDR-XB700
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 8
From what I have read, the Q40s don't have much of a soundstage; the sound is more "in your face." Actually now I've been looking into the DT 770/80s...Opinions? Will they be able to be driven well with my DAC/Headamp? They are suppose to have solid bass as well as a expansive soundstage. I wish there was a proper audio shop around where I live to demo headphones...

PS. The Sony's look like bass overkill.
confused_face.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read, the Q40s don't have much of a soundstage; the sound is more "in your face." Actually now I've been looking into the DT 770/80s...Opinions? They are suppose to have solid bass as well as a expansive soundstage. I wish there was a proper audio shop around where I live to demo headphones...

PS. The Sony's look like bass overkill.
confused_face.gif

No, the Sony doesn't have bass overkill. I know Sony describes them that way, but it really is nonsense. Their bass is much better, tighter and lighter, than the overbearing DT770 Pro 80 ohm.
I heard both, and the XB700 wins on all accounts IMO.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the Sony doesn't have bass overkill. I know Sony describes them that way, but it really is nonsense. Their bass is much better, tighter and lighter, than the overbearing DT770 Pro 80 ohm.
I heard both, and the XB700 wins on all accounts IMO.

X2. If your budget permits check out Shure SRH840s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back