Dilemma! Also Tax Refunds!
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aar0n

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be getting a tax refund soon-ish, and I've got plenty in my bank account, so that means a new set of cans. I enjoy my V-Moda Vibes, they're pretty good for portable listening, but they're just not cutting it, power-wise.
I'm currently looking for some circumaural cans with a decent amount of kick to them. However, I ran into a roadblock in my search for audio-satisfaction: Closed or open.

On one hand, closed cans are more versatile. They can deaden or block outside noise, they're usually very comfy. Example here: AKG 271 Studio. They look fairly comfortable, they have decent isolation, and they're fairly easy to drive. However, their sound is good, but not GREAT, the bass response is a little on the lean side, and I know that them being closed will wind up hurting me in terms of overall sound quality.

On the other hand, open cans give you a lot for your money. Most serious full-sized headphones ARE open, and limiting myself to closed seems like a pure and simple dumb idea. Example: Sennheiser HD555. They're punchy, well-rounded, and they've got the famous Sennheiser soundstage. However, their open-back design lets internal noise out, and external noise in, and at 120 ohms, they're not the easiest to drive.

I plan on getting a BitHead amp to drive whatever I get, but there's always the possibility of me plugging these into whatever random audio equipment I'm using, so these wouldn't necessarily always have the amp. So, here's my plea: I need something satisfying-sounding, comfy, versatile, that doesn't necessarily need a ton of amplification. (By satisfying-sounding, I mean well-defined overall sound, fairly powerful bass, and nice clear highs.) Something with some real personality to it.) My price range is up to $200 or so, but if there's a really good option that's a little beyond this, it's still fair game. I know I've made other threads about this same problem, but now I really know what I want, and I'm fairly close to ordering something.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Mmm I burnt my tax refund ahead of time on my Yamamoto amp ;p

Versatile sounds tricky though. I would be interested to know if there really is a 200 dollar solution to this.

Every brand I know sways in one direction or another or has at least one weak area (Compared to the other areas).

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 9
for comfort, the Beyer 990 Pro is hard to beat, I can wear mine for 12 hours straight with no problem.
smily_headphones1.gif
They are around $180 from BHphotovideo. they are 250 Ohm phones though, so some amplification will definitly help.....

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 9
i have the perfect headphone for you...the bose tri-ports.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinrite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the perfect headphone for you...the bose tri-ports.
very_evil_smiley.gif

OF course it all so obvious now it's like
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
basshead.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
gs1000.gif
340smile.gif
3000smile.gif
wrapped up into a superfunhouseofultimateorgasmatron
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Recommendations OTHER than Bose are acceptable. :p The DT770s look comfortable, but reviews make their SQ sound downright violent. Are they really as vicious as these reviews make them sound? Also bump.

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 9
From what i hear the senn hd595 might suit all your needs, im in England so cant give you a price although am i right in guessing around $170- $190? Or maybe the hd580 its cheaper but harder to drive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back