Dilemma: ~$350 for amp/dac + speakers, too many options @.@
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mynameissang

New Head-Fier

Hi. I'm quite new to head-fi, but have been using it as a primary research source for a while now.
I'm sorry if this isn't the right section for posting this...

I have a Fostex T50RP (soon to be modded 
smile.gif
), which I found the Fiio E6 to be quite incapable of powering. What I would like now is to be able to use it with a computer audio setup. However, I would also like to be able to use a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker for when I'm not using the headphones, which will probably be about half the time.
I would mostly be just listening to music, but also occasional gaming. I'm not interested in surround sound features or anything like that, however.
In researching the different options, I think I would like to go the route of an external usb DAC/amp rather than a soundcard like the Xonar STX, mostly because I do not have a free PCI-e slot
EDIT: Apparently, I didn't research enough... I didn't realize that the Xonar ST was a PCI interface card (with a better clock than the STX?), which is possible, as I do have free PCI slots.
Ideally, I would like to be able to use speakers as primary, and be able to conveniently plug in my headphones for when I need to.
As of now, the headphones are the only thing I have, and nothing else. My mobo has a digital audio out (it's a red-colored slot; I don't think it's an S/PDIF slot? I don't know, I'm a noob 
confused.gif
), and I don't have a dedicated sound card. As I said earlier, I don't have a free PCI-e slot, as that is blocked by my video card, so I don't think a sound card would really be an option?
For the speakers, I think I'm pretty set on getting the Swan M10, but I'm completely open to other suggestions.

Basically, with all the DAC and amp options (external DAC + external amp, external DAC/amp combo, etc.), I feel horribly swamped and confused, especially considering I had no knowledge whatsoever of computer audio until maybe a few days ago. I have probably around $350 to spend total, though I might be able to stretch that a little bit. I was hoping somebody could guide me with some suggestions.

I was thinking that a DAC/amp combo with a balanced headphone out and DAC line out would be good, as the Swan M10 I was considering are active. Some options I have considered are an E7/E9 combo (or wait for E17), Audio-GD NFB-12 (wasn't really looking forward to the seemingly sketchy ordering process), and a NuForce uDAC-2, all of which I would follow up with a Swan M10.

In the speakers, I really don't care for much bass. A tight controlled deep-extending bass would be nice, but I don't care much for quantity at all. What I'm mainly looking for are clear crisp mids and highs more than anything.

Please, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow, thank you for the quick reply. The E10 seems like an interesting option, and I'm reading some good things about it.
Just for clarification, the setup would then be:
computer --USB---> E10 ---Line out---> Dayton Audio amp --RCA out?---> Infinity Primus
                                                                                        \-headphone out--> headphones

My question is how does the Dayton Audio amp compare to other amps like the Fiio E9? Is it probably close to the best in the price range? And I've noticed that the speakers are $108 for one side, meaning I would have to buy 2? Is it still a good performer in that price range?
I'm sorry, I'm just trying to consider as many options as possible to make sure I make good purchases, even if I confuse myself in the process 
biggrin.gif

And also, how would that amp + DAC compare to a combo like the Audio-GD NFB-12?

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Thank you; your replies have been a great places to start some further research.
Just a few questions:
Would the E10's headphone out section be enough to drive the T50RP, being orthos?
And for the speakers, are those also called the Infinity Primus P152? (I now see that they're actually the P153) Do you know how they would compare to the Boston Acoustic CS26 listed http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?products_id=10411 or the Infinity Primus P162 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162BG/Infinity-Primus-P162-Black-grille.html?tp=186 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back