Dilema , are the Denon 7000s worth it ?
Nov 12, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
many believes DX1000 has a better sound stage and bass than D7k.

I concur on the soundstage. The bass on DX1000s sounds a bit 'soft' and slow for my tastes and not quite as punchy as the D7000s. The highs are also a little rolled off to my ears. Both are great, probably comes down to preferences more than technical superiority of one over the other.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur on the soundstage. The bass on DX1000s sounds a bit 'soft' and slow for my tastes and not quite as punchy as the D7000s. The highs are also a little rolled off to my ears. Both are great, probably comes down to preferences more than technical superiority of one over the other.

yeah, I guess so..D7k has a punchy bass, but IMO not very full/rounded..its like punching other than pushing..it all comes down to preference..I love D7k, but the sound stage kinda turns me off just like the edition 9..

talking of speedy bass, IMO ed9 is even more responsive and punchier than the D7k! but both headphones have narrow sound stage to me.. I mean I only compared them to HD650/600 open cans

well, Cannot wait to try out the VICTOR ~
redface.gif
~

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

talking of speedy bass, IMO ed9 is even more responsive and punchier than the D7k! but both headphones have narrow sound stage to me.. I mean I only compared them to HD650/600 open cans

Strange as it may seem the d7k feel more "open" and airy than my 650s, having a more perceivable depth (more 3d/clearer spatial cues). The 650s feel more like my head is engulfed in music, with not as much depth perception. My own idea of sound stage might be different as well as my ears though.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange as it may seem the d7k feel more "open" and airy than my 650s, having a more perceivable depth (more 3d/clearer spatial cues). The 650s feel more like my head is engulfed in music, with not as much depth perception. My own idea of sound stage might be different as well as my ears though.

we might be using different amps and sources.. I use Duet as my source and ASL MG MKIII tube amps with OTL, so it might be in favor of the HD650~ But D7k certainly does not satisfy me as much as the HD650 in terms of openness~ maybe we prefer different sound signatures or like what you said, different perception of soundstage.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #35 of 41
I am considering getting the D7000, but am concerned about whether they have the sound signature I desire. Basically, what I am looking for is a "fun" sounding phone. For example, I consider the RS2 to be a very fun sounding phone, but the HD650 to be accurate, and IMO, a little boring when listening to trippy music like Velvet Underground and David Bowie. Jorge at HR has suggested to me that the D7000 sound is "laid back," and that the D2000 might do a better job of meeting my expectations. What do you guys think of this? Which phone is best for me?

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #36 of 41
D7K does sound pretty fun...but edition 9 fits your purpose better IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering getting the D7000, but am concerned about whether they have the sound signature I desire. Basically, what I am looking for is a "fun" sounding phone. For example, I consider the RS2 to be a very fun sounding phone, but the HD650 to be accurate, and IMO, a little boring when listening to trippy music like Velvet Underground and David Bowie. Jorge at HR has suggested to me that the D7000 sound is "laid back," and that the D2000 might do a better job of meeting my expectations. What do you guys think of this? Which phone is best for me?

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

D7K does sound pretty fun...but edition 9 fits your purpose better IMO.

Aren't the Edition 9s head-vices that squeeze the brains out of your head like the HD650s? Can the E9s be made comfortable?

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Aren't the Edition 9s head-vices that squeeze the brains out of your head like the HD650s? Can the E9s be made comfortable?

well, it all depends lol.. it fits me well..you can see from my profile pic~ HD650 fits me well too.. ED9 uses really high quality soft lamb skin or something weird..but its pretty comfortable to me~
the truth is, I have not yet came across a headphone that doesnt hurt my ear after 4 hours of listening.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

well, it all depends lol.. it fits me well..you can see from my profile pic~ HD650 fits me well too.. ED9 uses really high quality soft lamb skin or something weird..but its pretty comfortable to me~
the truth is, I have not yet came across a headphone that doesnt hurt my ear after 4 hours of listening.

I listen to my RS2 for 6 or 7 hours straight most days when I'm writing, and I completely forget that they are there. I would love to give the ED9 or ED8 a test drive someday, but have always been scared off by the comfort issue. Re ED9, its probably a moot point anyway, as this phone can't be had for less than $2K currently based on a very little bit of research I just completed. I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

I listen to my RS2 for 6 or 7 hours straight most days when I'm writing, and I completely forget that they are there. I would love to give the ED9 or ED8 a test drive someday, but have always been scared off by the comfort issue. Re ED9, its probably a moot point anyway, as this phone can't be had for less than $2K currently based on a very little bit of research I just completed. I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

you can probably find one for less than 1k in the fs forum
redface.gif
just keep an eye on it..

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, more so. But they do not share that same timbre and are not quite as lightening quick as the RS1s. I am sure some will disagree with me because of that. However, the D7000s do have a boosted, very full and textured but controlled bass response with slightly exaggerated decay that really adds to a 'full' speaker-like sound. They have amazing clarity and great detail retrieval and are smooth and non-fatiguing without that piercing Grado high that can come through with the RS1s. Some do complain about sibilance with the D7000s but it is not an issue for me. The general suggestion is not to match them with tubes, but I like to add a little more color which my Leben does nicely.

Thanks Gu Sensei. Always love reading your thoughtful posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back