Digizoid Zo2 vs Fiio E11?
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ElJavi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have wound down my options for a portable amp between the Digizoid Zo2.3 (the newest one) and the Fiio E11.
I am looking for a fun sound: Tight, punchy bass. Will be hooking up to a 5.5G iPod via the Fiio L9 LOD and the V-Moda's Crossfade LPs. Based on my setup, which of the two do you guys recommend for what I am looking for? Bassheads welcome to share opinions.

Furthermore, would it be wise/worth it to get both and use them together? Pros & Cons? Any other amps within the same price range that produce good/better bass? Also, is there a place you guys suggest getting either of them at the best price? Places to avoid, such as fake ones being sold, etc? I was originally looking for a flatter amp, but realized its my first rig, so why not have fun with it. Greatly appreciate your help!

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Well, if you want fun sound and don't need a volume boost than the Zo2 should be a better purchase for you - i think of it more as an EQ for fun sound with bass boost compared to the e11, which is more transparent and its EQ isn't very coloring as it mainly boosts the sub-bass. I guess it is possible to get them both and use them together - maybe first hook the Zo2 to act as an EQ and bass booster and than connect it to the e11 to act as an amp but I'm not sure how you'll like the result and if it's worth the extra cash and space.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 17
I use ZO2 and go from like 43% volume on source without ZO to 15% with ZO2.1 and 19% with ZO2.3 for similar volume levels... I would call that quite a volume boost. :p Ofc it may vary if you intend to use LOD but I use headphone-out which is its primary intended use (LOD support added later).

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 17
RPGWiZaRD? So I'm guessing you'd go for the Digizoid, even if it is the 2.3? (since the earlier versions are obsolete). Any Experience with the E11? I've read some of your previous threads, but haven't seen your comments on the Fiio E11.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Well, as I said you'll be probably more satisfied with the digizoid. The fiio e11 tightens the bass and gives it punch while keeping it under control but the overall sound signature of the headphones remains the same, so if you don't find your headphones fun enough you'll probably also won't find them fun with e11. The digizoid gives you better bass customization and colors the overall sound, so I think you'll like it better. In this situation it doesn't matter which of them gives more volume boost coz your headphones don't seem hard to drive. As you wanted the opinions of bassheads I guess you're mainly interested in the bass region, so that's my opinion - e11 gives you tighter more controlled bass while digizoid gives you more bass overall with more control over its customization. On the other hand, Zo2.3 costs almost twice as much as the fiio but the fiio is also almost twice its size. If I had to pick between the two I would always go for the fiio but mainly because I prefer armatures and I like that the fiio keeps everything under control and doesn't color the sound much but I think you'll like more the Zo coz it makes everything fun to listen to.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
RPGWiZaRD? So I'm guessing you'd go for the Digizoid, even if it is the 2.3? (since the earlier versions are obsolete). Any Experience with the E11? I've read some of your previous threads, but haven't seen your comments on the Fiio E11.

Haven't tried FiiO E11 but there's one fatal design flaw which stops me from getting it is that it can't be used while recharging... I'm not using my ZO2 for portable use but at my computer and don't want to unplug/charge 1 hr and then plug it in again when I can just let it recharge and use it at the same time when it's needed on ZO2.

Also I just love the 32-step bass boost adjustability, FiiO's 2 step change isn't enough for me, ofc I almost never go like above lvl 7 or so on any of my headphones but to get the EXACT amount is a big advantage for me. I do slightly prefer ZO2.1 over ZO2.3 because to me it's the better sounding one and I'd think majority would agree (it has a bit more in-your-face mids and soundstage seems somewhat better) but I don't concider ZO2.3 bad but I concider ZO2.1 to surpass it price point slightly, it's to me more than a bass boost device.

EDIT: Forgot one very important difference, ZO2.1 adds slightly punchier bass than 2.3 which to me is a good attribute, it's adding more sense of impact without necessarily adding any audible bass, just a "feel-the-bass" hitting you thing. I hope future versions will have same sound characteristics as 2.1 as I'm very impressed with it.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
...The fiio e11 tightens the bass and gives it punch while keeping it under control but the overall sound signature of the headphones remains the same...The digizoid gives you better bass customization and colors the overall sound...

...e11 gives you tighter more controlled bass while digizoid gives you more bass overall with more control over its customization.

This actually clarifies things very well in terms of major differences between the two amps. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
... I do slightly prefer ZO2.1 over ZO2.3 because to me it's the better sounding one and I'd think majority would agree (it has a bit more in-your-face mids and soundstage seems somewhat better) but I don't concider ZO2.3 bad but I concider ZO2.1 to surpass it price point slightly, it's to me more than a bass boost device.  
...one very important difference, ZO2.1 adds slightly punchier bass than 2.3 which to me is a good attribute, it's adding more sense of impact without necessarily adding any audible bass, just a "feel-the-bass" hitting you thing. I hope future versions will have same sound characteristics as 2.1 as I'm very impressed with it.

Yeah, I've read this several times now. It is really a shame why they would mess with what was already a very successful sound in the first place, after all that is what got them to be so popular. I don't know, it is just not an improved version when other aspects are sacrificed in order to have some "improvements". Any news on the next Zo release anytime soon?

Quote:
Haven't tried FiiO E11 but there's one fatal design flaw which stops me from getting it is that it can't be used while recharging... I'm not using my ZO2 for portable use but at my computer and don't want to unplug/charge 1 hr and then plug it in again when I can just let it recharge and use it at the same time when it's needed on ZO2.

Any info on the actual battery life of the Zo2.3.  (Beyond what the webpage says, as always that can be a bit exaggerated and biased) How long does it actually take for a full charge? (again,from your own experience)

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 17
Well I've never timed it and I also bought an USB power adapter so I'm just plugging it to the wall socket but digiZoid says around 1 hr for a charge. Full charge seems to last on ZO2.3 about 14 - 17 hrs maybe and ZO2.1 maybe 20 - 24 hrs.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 17
I own both and it would be REALLY hard for me to choose between them. I typically use my Fiio with full size headphones and the Zo with my Atrio IEMs. Every night when I go to bed, I usually spend at least an hour listening to either music or a netflix movie (on my Kindle Fire) via the ZO/Atrio combo. The ZO can do things that the Fiio can't, but I like the way the Fiio drives my headphones better. With IEMs, though, it's no comparison. The ZO/Atrio combo is lots of fun, and there are times when I prefer to watch a movie that way than to fire it up on my 120" screen with full Magnepan sound. Both are very solid, reliable performers...I don't envy you for having to choose between them!

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 17
Well guys, Thank a lot for your excellent help...after much thinking I've made a choice!.............I'm going for the DIGIZOID Zo2.3!

I'll make sure I write my impressions on the ZO2.3 (my first headphone amp BTW) and also how it matches up with the Crossfade LPs (although some people may not care to much for the latter, haha)

Thanks Again, Great Forum!

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
..I don't envy you for having to choose between them!

That's exactly what I was thinking, I guess I wasn't wrong about the dilemma after all... I just might end up getting the E11 soon since it so well rated...but there are debates between the E11 vs E17...but that's a whole different story that I will be reading soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back