Digizoid ZO 2 + Denon AH-D2000s?
Mar 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jamesesesess

New Head-Fier
I got my D2000s last month and I love them. The sound is amazing. However, I know that getting an amp will bring out the full potential in the headphones. At first I wasn't going to buy one but I'm curious as to how much better they could sound. 

Originally I was looking at the FiiOs but I don't really know where to start. At first I was looking at the E7, but it seems like that's supposed to be paired with the E9, which becomes both expensive and clunky. I listen to music from my Macbook Pro so it's not like there'd be any convenient place to put a big setup like that. 

Then I discovered the Digizoid ZO 2 and I was intrigued. It looks really nice, and it's really small! I like the little light strip that it has on it. All of the reviews on Amazon are 5 stars (even though there's only 4 reviews) and I've watched a few Youtube reviews, all which sounded pretty positive. That alone nearly sold me, but I wanted to be sure that I'm making the right buy before blowing $100 on this. 

So will the ZO 2 pair well with my D2000s? I listen mainly to pop and hip hop/rap if that matters.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 2
I have this very setup. Let me first explain my sources and modifications to give you an idea of my options when I go through the sound differences.

I have a pair of D2K's that have been recabled by Chris_Himself with 26 AWG 6N Gold-plated Copper Wires. I connect them with my digiZoid ZO2 either with my Sansa Clip Zip or iPod 7th Gen. With the Sansa Clip Zip I use the headphone out, and with the iPod I use a FiiO LOD. When I use the Sansa with the ZO and D2K's, I use the High Gain setting and I still feel that the power going to the headphones is just not enough, and while the Bass is great, the overall volume just doesnt reach the right levels for me. With the iPod and an LOD to the ZO2 and the D2K's, I use the low gain setting to control volume, and I don't have many complaints about it. I do find I do not set the ZO2 to less than halfway volume with the iPod. I know it's all technically supposed to be the same amount of power going to the headphones from the ZO2, no matter the amount of power going to the ZO2, but you can definitely notice a difference.

In terms of the bass boost features of the ZO2, I cannot say more about how well it works. You have 32 contour levels and if it wasnt for the fact that the amp is just a small part of the overall product, I would never look for anything else. With the D2K's i usually use the orange color levels, and towards the complete RED contour, you will notice a bit of the mids getting muddled, but it's all a matter of preference. You can turn the contour to yellow and green to get just a little hint of extra bass that you will most likely not notice much of a change to your ability to hear the mids and highs. The bass will just be nice and tight, getting punchier and more present as you go up in levels. 

Something to note is the impulse to want to move with the music when using the ZO2.....this is not an advisable idea with the D2K's, as at least for me, they move around too much if I start dancing around. Other than that, I absolutely love my ZO2, especially after some burn-in.

I hope this helped you out, good luck with the decision.

Quote:
I got my D2000s last month and I love them. The sound is amazing. However, I know that getting an amp will bring out the full potential in the headphones. At first I wasn't going to buy one but I'm curious as to how much better they could sound. 

Originally I was looking at the FiiOs but I don't really know where to start. At first I was looking at the E7, but it seems like that's supposed to be paired with the E9, which becomes both expensive and clunky. I listen to music from my Macbook Pro so it's not like there'd be any convenient place to put a big setup like that. 

Then I discovered the Digizoid ZO 2 and I was intrigued. It looks really nice, and it's really small! I like the little light strip that it has on it. All of the reviews on Amazon are 5 stars (even though there's only 4 reviews) and I've watched a few Youtube reviews, all which sounded pretty positive. That alone nearly sold me, but I wanted to be sure that I'm making the right buy before blowing $100 on this. 

So will the ZO 2 pair well with my D2000s? I listen mainly to pop and hip hop/rap if that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back