Jul 8, 2010 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Jul 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Submitted for your knowledge and/or amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJBEmz5teA

AB test at 5:30

The pairs shouldn't have been in the same room. Also, the test track may not have been the most discerning choice. 

Of course in the right hands they'll sound the same. I'd be more interested in vinyl vs. CD, if I'm right in understanding that this is just a comparison of the mastering equipment used and not the final product. I think what concerns audiophiles is that digital consoles are what mix most of the poorly mastered music of today, and that bleeds over to create the mindset that analog sounds better. Plus, sticking a note on a jazz CD that it was remastered on an analog console is always a good way to sell discs. After all, if they're going out of their way to mention that, it must be better right?

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 3
They forgot to run the "studio in the box" recording through the finalizer.  Of course it still sounds good.  Let them finish the "in the box" recording and mastering and then we'll get the analog vs. digital sound.

The problem with the in the box style recording is that while it is easy to edit it is easier to edit too much.  Over produce.  Finalize.  Bam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back