Digital Piano Cans
Feb 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

altanner

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi,
Another question to contend with.
I'm looking for some new cans to use with a digital piano, and listen to a range of music through, from abstract electronics to classical quartets! Which'll probably make it a difficult decision!

My budget is about £100, and I was looking at Grado SR80s, Beyerdynamics 990DTs, or Sennheiser HD595s.

Comfort is pretty important, and people say that the Grados aren't up to it... however I wear Sennheiser HD25 closed headphones extendedly, which I find pretty comfortable despite the necessary head-clamping design (I used to use them for DJing where isolation was important, now I use them for general purpose). So if I find HD25s comfortable, would I be OK with the Grados?

The HD595s I'd imagine would be the most comfortable, and are all-rounders.

The DT990s seem to have a good reputation and would be well suited for the more electronic end of my listenings.

I'm drifting towards the Grados just because they've got more soul. Yeah I'm assessing from forum reviews and erm photographs!

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any replies.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 12
For the best piano sound you should definetly get a ultrasone. Pro900's are the best headphones I have ever played piano with, and they are really a notch better than the more expensive competition. If its too expensive you might want to look into a 750 which is reportedly also good with piano's.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Well I would go for the best if I could afford it, but unfortunately that's a little beyond my finances right now... Do you recommend closed backs for piano, I thought that opens would be more appropriate?

I'm more aiming for the "good budget level", though I've noted the Ultrasones for when I'm a bit richer .

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 12
A good headphone is a good headphone, I don't select them on open or closed. The only headphones that have thus far convinced me of good piano sounds are the ultrasone's and the Stax SR-X, but that own't be handy for you either.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 12
MS-1 with Sennheiser 19545 pads will give you the best tone than what you listed (and is also in your budget).

DT990 and HD595 will be the most comfortable as you pointed out, but in my belief MS1 will have superior tone to either.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 12
MS-1 are available through their site: www.allesandro-products.com. 100$ includes shipping, pretty nice deal.
However for piano and electronic I can not recommend the MS-1.
Out of the ones you mentioned I had the 595s and have the MS-1. The 595s are probably better for your music but I found the MS-1 to have a better tone. They were more involving. The Beyers.. Yes, you should get those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi!

I use HD25 with my digital piano and really like them. I'm wondering if it's even possible to have an upgrade from these for 100 pounds.
Is there anything you miss with HD25s?
Besides I would call the MS1 to be a better allrounder over the HD595 (also cheaper), can't comment on DT990 or SR80.

Regards,
Jonas

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I agree with Nick that I wouldn't recommend the MS-1 for piano sounds either. The lack of any soundstage will drive you nuts when you are playing!

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 12
AKG K271 are extremely good piano cans if isolationis important, and the ones I have are not as bass shy as you might read here and there. You can easily find them used for less than 150 $.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything you miss with HD25s?

I always get a claustrophobic feeling from the HD25, I want something a bit more expansive in sound and feel.

I don't want isolation, sound-leak is not an issue and I want to be able to hear through them.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 12
If you are considering the HD595, just get the HD555. Remove the filter in the HD555 and you got yourself a HD595.

For Piano I would go with something from AKG or Beyerdynamic Studio phone line ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back