Digital output dock cable for iPod???
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
i know there are now several stationary docks with digital outputs (Wadia i170 was first i think), but do you really need a whole "box" to extract and transport the digital information from an iPod to a DAC?

i was looking at the website for the Fostex HP-P1, which seems to be a portable dac which receives the digital signal directly through a short 30-pin to USB cable.

can you just buy that cable?

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 6
still curious about this answer.....am i asking on the wrong forum?  or am i missing something obvious?

i would think that if extracting the digital music information was that simple, then more DACs would be produced with correct circuitry / algorithms to accept that input.  or merely a type A female USB input, instead of the B type....which in another whole issue i don't understand.  why does the world need type B?

the inexpensive NuForce iDo has this type A usb input and accepts the signal from a normal dock connector.  but other posts have implied that Apple charges manufacturers for some software to allow the dac to accept that signal.

i just confused myself even more now.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 6
how about a normal iPod dock connector plugged into this adapter, and then into a DAC?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I've seen the insides of CLAS and it's way more than just a DAC chip.  Those devices have to "talk" to the iDevice to get it to output digital audio.   The whole procedure is a bit over my head, but the short answer to your questions is:  no. It's just not that simple....

That being said, CLAS is one of my favorite things...

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah you basically just need a chip which acts as a host or something to tap on the digital audio output of ipod/iphone. If you wanna get the digital audio output with the least trouble the minimum would be the fostex HP-P1 because the HP-P1 has the USB host which signals the ipod/iphone to output digital audio. Its the host you need not the cable, the cable is merely just a normal USB cable which is the same as the stock charger USB cable that comes with ipods/iphones.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 6
thanks devil!

i have also heard that the circuitry...or algorithm...or whatever, needs to be licensed from Apple and apparently is a relatively high per unit cost.

i ended up buying the CA iD 100.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back